As the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York State, Success Academy has reimagined public education. Nationally recognized for achieving outstanding academic results for students from all backgrounds and zip codes, we have created an innovative K-12 school model that is preparing current and future generations of children with the subject mastery and skills to succeed in college and life. We now need a results-driven Director of Special Education & Scholar Supports to join our School Management Office.
School Management Office
Situated within Schooling Management & Technology, our School Management Office (SMO) leads on key strategic functions that are critical to the day-to-day management of our schools. The SMO has five primary areas of focus:
1. School Management Planning;
2. School Management Process Support;
3. School Communications;
4. Data & Analytics Management; and
5. Special Education and Scholar Supports.
Within its fifth area of focus, the SMO provides direct and indirect support to scholars who are experiencing academic, emotional, social, or behavioral challenges. The SMO fulfills this function by using data, systems, and training to ensure that our highest and lowest performing scholars have the appropriate supports in place. Additionally, the SMO oversees our end-to-end special education process, from identification to referral to graduation from services. The SMO further supports our school leaders and families by building and maintaining student crisis prevention programs, designing behavior intervention protocols, and training school staff on crisis management and intervention.
The SMO supports all of this work by partnering with Success Academy’s Education Institute to provide comprehensive training and guidance to school staff.
Director of Special Education & Scholar Supports
The Director of Special Education & Scholar Supports will manage and oversee the design and implementation of the above processes within the SMO.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Establishing clear and organized processes to ensure that the highest and lowest performing scholars scholars have the appropriate academic, emotional, social, and/or behavioral supports in place;
- Overseeing our end-to-end special education processes and protocols to ensure that scholars receive services that are timely, appropriate, and effective;
- Managing relationships between external parties, including the New York City Department of Education’s Committees on Special Education and related service agencies, to provide scholars with critical supports;
- Using frequent and targeted data and reporting to monitor the success of supports provided, and to make real-time changes to improve outcomes for our scholars;
- Providing reasoned and knowledgeable guidance to School Management, Senior Management, and other Network departments on our protocols and systems for supporting our scholars in need; and
- Partnering with School Management and our Education Institute to organize, develop, and deliver high-impact training to our school staff.
The Director of Special Education & Scholar Supports should be someone who:
- Has 7+ years of relevant professional experience in project and people management;
- Has a demonstrated ability to successfully manage and drive forward complex projects;
- Is an inspiring leader who continually pushes themselves and others to higher levels of achievement;
- Interacts effectively with a broad base of constituents at varying levels, through both oral and written communication;
- Exhibits critical thinking and analytical skills;
- Is an eager and quick learner who seeks out constructive feedback, and is excited to continuously develop professionally to achieve his or her potential;
- Is passionate about education reform; and
- Demonstrates initiative and perseverance to achieve desired outcomes.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.