Success Academy Charter Schools is a rapidly growing 501(c)(3) organization focused on managing an extensive network of high-performing charter schools. Every day, we work together to build and support a network of schools that provides children with a world-class public education. We currently educate nearly 15,000 students across 46 schools, and advocate across the country to change public policy that prevents so many children from having access to opportunity.
The Policy Team
Success Academy’s Policy Team works to increase access to great education for all children by pursuing ambitious policy reforms on the city, state, and federal levels, including:
- Developing and executing strategy to accomplish organization-wide policy goals on the city, state, and federal levels; - Drafting and analyzing legislative proposals and language quickly and thoroughly;
- Drafting one-pagers and substantive materials that concisely explain policy objectives, including creating high-level summaries of complex policy concepts that are digestible for a non-policy internal and external audience;
- Proposing, organizing, and executing policy events in New York and Washington, DC, including overseeing all logistics;
- Developing and managing relationships with federal elected officials and organizations, including scheduling and attending regular meetings, organizing opportunities for collaboration, and managing the organization’s outreach federally;
- Managing external partners as needed, including federal lobbyists;
- Tracking legislation and state and federal regulations and drafting comments as needed;
- Monitoring federal grant opportunities, proposing relevant opportunities for funding, and managing applications as needed; and
- Overseeing and advising on organization-wide compliance with lobbying rules and regulations.
The Policy Team is seeking a Director of Policy. This individual will manage an ambitious city and state legislative agenda and all aspects of federal policy work for the organization. The successful candidate will have a strong record of accomplishing policy goals, managing-high level projects, overseeing and enacting policy strategy, and writing clear and concise summaries of complex policy concepts.
Responsibilities for the Director include:
Leadership, Strategic Planning, and Outcomes Management
- Embody a broad leadership and management approach;
- Oversee the work of the Policy Team, maximizing outcomes and ensuring big-picture, organization-wide thinking;
- Partner closely with the Advocacy Team, the CEO, and external lobbyists to establish and execute on a long-term policy strategy to accomplish the organization’s city, state, and federal policy g
oals. Develop and leverage relationships with internal departments, as well as external contacts, to maximize outcomes;
Development, Execution, and Oversight of Substantive Policy Work
- Develop, draft, oversee, and edit all state and federal legislative proposals and substantive one-pagers and memos;
- Manage legislative process, including providing fast and thorough analysis as needed and working closely with Finance and other relevant internal teams to understand all budget legislation implications and summarize internal clearly and concising on a tight timeline;
- Analyze legislation and relevant regulations and summarize for a non-policy internal and external audience;
Management of Federal Policy Events and Initiatives
- Propose and drive strategic plan for federal policy events, meetings, and initiatives; Oversee logistics for all policy events and ensure all are up to the organization’s high standards for events;
- Manage all aspects of federal policy work, including driving against deliverables for federal elected tours and high-level meetings;
- Travel to DC and attend administration and Congressional meetings as needed;
- Develop and steward relationships with external lobbyists, federal elected officials, and other federal stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience building relationships with policy stakeholders on the federal level; ideal candidate will have significant existing government relationships in the education sector; Experience independently driving and managing large, complex projects and events;
- Strong research, writing, problem solving, project management, and analytical abilities;Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to manage projects at a high level in a fast-paced environment; and
- An ability to work well under pressure and keep track of multiple projects/deadlines.
- Cover letter and resume;
Qualified candidates may later be asked to provide:
- Post-secondary academic transcript(s);
- Three references (name, position, company, phone number, e-mail); and
- A writing sample (10 pages or less) (optional).
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Success Academy offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, a generous benefits package, and opportunities for professional growth.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.