The mission of Success Academies is to reimagine public education. From the classroom to the halls of government, this means finding profoundly different approaches to how we structure, implement, and support schooling. To realize our radical vision, we reconceive every aspect of school design, from writing rigorous new curricula to drawing regularly on the advances in technology, business, and social/civic practices that are transforming every sector except education.
Over the past decade, Success Academies has grown faster than any charter network in the nation, building a vibrant network of 46 elementary, middle, and high schools. Our 15,500 children – mostly poor and minority – are out-performing students at top city and suburban schools across New York State. With our oldest students in 12th grade, we are fast approaching the irrefutable proof point that zip code does not determine destiny.
Our goals for our second decade are even more ambitious: to grow to 100 schools, to educate 50,000 children across New York City in a uniquely holistic pre-k - 12 system, and to demonstrate that excellence can be achieved at scale. With this rapid growth and trajectory, Success Academy will dramatically increase in the number of facilities, both in public and private space, to accommodate our educational needs.
To bring this critically important endeavor to scale, Success Academy seeks to hire a Director of Facilities for the Operations Division who can focus on scaling our facilities strategy for our operational staff across our 46 schools and at our central network office. Working within our network office, the Director of Facilities, Operations will report directly to our Chief Operations Officer.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manages and leverages relationships with key executives in government agencies to support with ongoing public school building maintenance;
- Supports, trains, and directs school-based operations staff on maintenance and facilities initiatives across our 46 schools;
- Initiates preventative and planned maintenance programs that track facilities to identify short-term and long-term needs and improvements, including developing appropriate budgets and timelines for implementation;
- Directs an efficient work order system and interdepartmental communications to ensure repairs of facilities, infrastructure, and equipment meet acceptable timelines;
- Oversees contract services associated with facilities, maintenance, custodial cleaning, and waste management/recycling to ensure timelines, budgets, and quality controls are met;
- Manages and provides continuous quality improvement to all aspects of facility operations;
- Establishes quantitative measures and key performance indicators to ensure ongoing quality with emphasis being placed on ingenuous solutions and improvements to operational processes based on best practice;
- Manages a geographic cohort of schools to support school-based operational objectives; and
- Effectively contributes to our employee development experience inside a high growth company enabling the ongoing evolution of company leadership and the overall organization.
Successful candidates should also have the following previous experiences and characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of experience in building maintenance and facilities across multiple locations/sites;
- Demonstrated success in organization-wide change and project management from concept through implementation and follow-up evaluation;
- Exceptional communication skills – verbal and written;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including the ability to motivate and collaborate;
- Demonstrated success in leveraging technology for facilities management;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and G-Suite products and project management software; and
- Analytical problem solving ability with extraordinary attention to detail.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.