Director of Advocacy
At Success Academy, we are redefining what’s possible in public education. Since opening our first Harlem school in 2006, we have swiftly grown to 41 high-performing schools, from Bed-Stuy to the Bronx, serving approximately 14,000 kids. We are scaling to 100 great schools serving 50,000 children across New York City, bringing transformational change here and across the country. We believe all children, regardless of zip code or family income, deserve the life-changing opportunities that a world-class education brings.
To achieve exceptional results for children, we hire the best, the brightest, and the most highly motivated adults we can find. We value excellence, celebrate diversity, and are relentlessly committed to improving ourselves and our work to enhance the lives of our scholars.
Our dual mission is to:
1. Offer children in New York City an exceptional public education that prepares them to succeed in college and life.
2. Serve as a catalyst and national model for education reform efforts, helping to change public policies that prevent so many children from having access to opportunity.
We are seeking a mission-driven leader dedicated to going above and beyond to move the education reform needle forward as our Director of Advocacy. S/he should have the ability to hit the ground running at a forward driving, entrepreneurial, education reform organization seeking to obliterate the achievement gap in New York City.
Reporting directly to the Executive Vice President of Public Affairs, our Director of Advocacy should be someone who...
- Has 3 - 5 years of experience in positions that involve parent and community engagement and leading advocacy efforts that have produced meaningful change;
- Is an exceptionally hard worker and person of high moral character that can successfully manage a team of likeminded individuals;
- Will ensure that all parent mobilization needs are met, including the coordination of large rallies (15,000+ people) and small events (press conferences, community events, meetings with elected and community leaders, etc);
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate advocacy needs to families and staff;
- Can create a sustainable, scalable operation that leverages school communities to meet overall advocacy needs;
- Will develop and execute plans for outreach/engagement of community partners;
- Can represent Success Academy nationally on advocacy issues and lead events such as workshops and conferences;
- Is knowledgeable of ed reform and current political landscape to assist in preparing advocacy grant proposals and reports; and
- Is a nimble problem solver and skilled project manager, able to deliver first-rate results.
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
Back to top