- New York, NY
We're redefining what's possible in public education. We set out to tackle this education crisis with a groundbreaking school design that delivers a rigorous, whole-child education to students from all backgrounds. Today, as the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York, our network of 45 K-12 schools outperforms every district in the state, proving irrefutably that all children are capable of excellence.
The mission of Success Academies is to reimagine public education. From the classroom to the halls of government, this means finding profoundly different approaches to how we structure, implement and support schooling. We reconceive every aspect of school design, from writing rigorous new curricula to drawing regularly on the advances in technology and business that are transforming every sector except education.
Over the past decade, Success Academies has grown faster than any charter network in the nation, building a vibrant network of 47 elementary, middle and high schools. Our ~16,000 children - mostly poor and minority - are out-performing students at top city and suburban schools across New York State. Our goals for our second decade are even more ambitious: to grow to 100 schools and to educate 50,000 children across New York City in a uniquely holistic pre-k-12 system, bringing transformational change here and across the country. At 100 schools, we will graduate 3,000 scholars each year who are prepared to enter, persist and graduate from college and eventually to lead in business, government and civic realms.
Scaling schooling excellence as we rapidly grow is an imperative. To further position the organization to do this, Success Academies is prioritizing the continued build out of a scalable, technology enabled model for operating and managing its schools by establishing a School Management Services capability that is intended to deliver an enhanced set of services to better support our network schools. A key pillar of School Management Services is Data & Analytics -- data science, analytics and reporting combined represent a critical function to enable our enterprise to be truly data-driven. An enhanced Data & Analytics capability is needed to put in place a baseline of actionable management reporting that adheres to high reporting standards, generates standard and ad-hoc reporting, and performs meaningful analytics.
The Data Analyst reports to the Director of Enterprise Data & Analytics.
In this role, you will:
- Produce actionable data insights for our network of schools in the form of interactive dashboards and visualizations, ad hoc reports and analysis.
- Act as a product manager developing expertise and a vision in one or more domains of schooling data, producing brilliant dashboards and reports while striving for continuous, iterative improvement based on research and feedback from users.
- Continuously partner with Network and School-based staff to understand school and business data needs and translate those requirements into high-quality work.
- Serve as a steward of data integrity, applying rigorous standards for calculation of metrics and helping to drive adoption of data governance and data security best practices.
- Do the work of extracting, transforming and analyzing data with well-formed SQL queries and data and scientific libraries.
- Be comfortable working in and presenting data in spreadsheets when that is the right solution.
- Be a change agent and drive innovation with your own ideas.
- Work in an energetic office on the waterfront in Lower Manhattan, and spend time in our network of high-performing schools where you will be able to see how your work impacts the lives of our scholars, teachers and school leaders.
You have spent 2-5 years in a similar data analytics role or have equivalent technical competence and experience in education.
- Have a demonstrated passion for data and working in data-driven organizations.
- Can construct elegant SQL queries and will keep profiling and optimizing them until they are as efficient as possible.
- Have familiarity with data warehouse technologies and best practices.
- Have experience with one or more data BI visualization tools (we are using Sisense) and/or libraries such as D3.
- Have a high level of comfort using the Python scientific and data libraries, particularly Pandas (or strong familiarity with a comparable system like R, and a strong willingness to learn Python/Pandas).
- Are comfortable working with ambiguity and possess the discipline to strive for simplicity, clarity and accuracy.
- Possess top-notch communication skills that allow you to partner with a diverse set of stakeholders and present to executive audiences.
- Are excited by the opportunity to help reimagine public education.
Back to top