Our Chess Teachers are results-driven educators who are passionate about chess instruction and educating the whole child. Your job is to inspire a love of chess in our scholars while building a highly competitive chess program that can compete on the state and national level. Engaged in our mission to re-imagine public education, you will develop as a teacher and a professional faster and more intensely than ever before. This will be a compelling intellectual and educational adventure that will transform you as a person and while doing so you will impact hundreds of students’ lives.
At Success Academy, we are redefining what’s possible in public education. Since opening our first school in Harlem in 2006, we have swiftly grown to 41 high-performing schools, from Bed-Stuy to the Bronx, serving approximately 14,000 kids. We are scaling to 100 great schools serving 50,000 children across New York City, bringing transformational change here and across the country. We believe all children, regardless of zip code or family income, deserve the life-changing opportunities that a world-class education brings.
In all grades, pre-K through 12, our exploration-driven curriculum focuses on the whole child and includes chess, art, and other specialized subjects that bring excitement to the school day and foster a lifelong love of learning. To achieve exceptional results for children, we hire the best, the brightest, and the most highly motivated adults we can find. We value excellence, celebrate diversity, and are relentlessly committed to improving ourselves and our work to enhance the lives of our scholars.
As a Chess Teacher, you will:
- Build a classroom culture in which scholars develop a love for chess and enhance critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Teach a rigorous chess curriculum to scholars that begins with chess basics and progresses to checkmate patterns and tactics
- Coach and develop a high performing team of scholars to compete in city, state and national chess tournaments
- Invest parents by coordinating and leading family chess nights and internal network chess tournaments
- Engage in training, collaborate with chess teachers and leaders across the network and benefit from targeted feedback and professional development related to instruction and content
To be considered as a Chess Teacher, you must:
- Have teaching experience with a record of propelling student’s understanding and love of chess
- Have an advanced understanding of the game of chess; tournament experience a plus
- Be a person of high moral character
- Be passionate about chess and learning
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
Back to top