African History Content Specialist
- New York, NY
We're redefining what's possible in public education. We set out to tackle this education crisis with a groundbreaking school design that delivers a rigorous, whole-child education to students from all backgrounds. Today, as the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York, our network of 47 K-12 schools outperforms every district in the state, proving irrefutably that all children are capable of excellence.
As the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York State, Success Academy has reimagined public education. Nationally recognized for achieving outstanding academic results for students from all backgrounds and zip codes, we have created an innovative K-12 school model that is preparing current and future generations of children with the subject mastery and skills to succeed in college and life. We now need a results-driven, thoughtful, and creative African History Content Specialist to join our school community.
Reporting to the Leader of MS & HS History Content , the African History Content Specialist will be a results-driven education leader looking to use their rigorous academic knowledge and strong project management skills to write and later teach our new High School African History Seminar curriculum in addition to supporting other relevant History curricula.
Key responsibilities include:
- To plan and write a rigorous and relevant interdisciplinary curriculum focusing on the histories, cultures, and societies of Africa c. 1000 CE to the Present.
- To create all necessary lesson materials, lesson plans, and curricula for units of the course that are aligned to the internal vision for history at Success Academy and the academic state of the field for African history.
- To support curriculum content creation for other courses in our 5-12 History program that include units or lessons covering African History or the African Diaspora, including World History, American History, Art History, and Comparative Government.
- To teach the African History Course in our High School starting Fall 2021.
- Developing curricula for additional seminar courses devoted to African Literature and the Global African Diaspora.
- Demonstrated content knowledge expertise in African history, culture, and literature - the desired candidate has an undergraduate and/or advanced degree specifically in African History, Africana Studies, or a closely-related major field;
- Extremely strong writing and proofreading skills;
- Strong work ethic and ability to work flexibly;
- Passion for education.
- Talent in logistics and project management;
- Strong attention to detail;
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter outlining your candidacy. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We actively seek applications from people of all backgrounds to strengthen our community and the perspectives needed to flourish in a multicultural world. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Learn more about our philosophy, benefits, and team at https://jobs.successacademies.org/working-here/ .
Back to top