Responsible for specification, coordinating development and standardization of service part and accessory packaging throughout the company. Leads cross-functional teams to identify and implement opportunities for package improvement. Works with the 3rd party packaging company to develop and record time and motion studies, line balances, production rates and efficiency improvements for packaging a wide variety of automotive parts and accessories. Partners with SIA, SBR, Parts Planning and part vendors to reduce overall part cost by eliminating re-packaging costs and other distribution chain inefficiencies. Along long with the "Packaging Group Team," sets the standards for product protection, package testing and damage limitations throughout the company. Provides packaging expertise, direction and training to less experienced team members.
- Collaborate with business partner packaging professionals and industry consultants along with the "Packaging Group Team" to identify opportunities for new packaging trends and materials that will improve the cost / value of packaging designs.
- Perform analysis on current packaging processes and recommend changes consistent with LEAN principles where appropriate.
- Ensure parts are protected, shipped, and delivered to the customer in salable condition.
- Support part suppliers by assisting with packaging design.
- Work with the Packaging Group Team, Parts Procurement Manager and SIA to identify, justify, source and manage production of returnable packaging to ship service parts between suppliers and SOA.
- Standardize packaging and packaging procedures across all SOA RDCs, master distribution centers and SBR.
- Work in unison with the Packaging Group Team to provide leadership and direction to packaging suppliers to ensure timely delivery and reasonable cost.
- Studies and records time, motion and speed to establish a standard production rate for packaging service parts and other worker operations.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Familiarity with Oracle Discoverer, Red Prairie WMS, Twin Engines a plus. All will become a requirement after initial training is complete.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD programs, Solid Edge preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to read engineering drawings. Some drafting experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of packaging design using corrugated fiberboard, wood, molded pulp and paperboard packaging materials, packaging foams, composite materials and assemblies, flexible plastic films, tapes and adhesives.
- Knowledge of ISTA (international Safe Transit Association) standards, hazmat regulations and National Motor Freight Item 222 requirements.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in cross functional teams and perform with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with LEAN manufacturing and warehousing principles. Lean/Six Sigma Green Belt certification a plus.
- Continuous improvement mindset.
- Minimum of 6 years experience in automotive or durable consumer packaging.
- Minimum 4-year college degree in a technical discipline required, with a BS degree in package engineering preferred.
Meet Some of Subaru's Employees
Connected Vehicle Program Manager
As a member of the Product Management Team, Mike is responsible for the strategy and delivery of in-vehicle technology. With customer needs in mind, the team is able to design and bring these new features to market.
Back to top