Research Editor (Remote)
Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero, Inc. is helping 200,000+ borrowers manage and eliminate over $3.5 billion dollars in student loan debt. We’re on a mission to help 44 million Americans manage their student loans smarter.
Student Loan Hero (SLH) combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the research editor do?
The research editor will create and/or analyze proprietary and public data sets — related to student loans, debt, and other personal finance topics affecting millennials — that drive exclusive editorial content and support SLH’s PR efforts and media placements. Past SLH research studies received coverage from major media outlets, including Forbes, CNBC, Mic, LifeHacker, Motley Fool, USA Today, Business Insider, Marketwatch, and NBC News.
You’ll be responsible for working primarily with the editorial and outreach teams to identify opportunities to tell data-driven stories and bring the data results to life through articles and press releases, infographics, shareable graphics for social media, and dynamic animations for video. Ideally, the collateral that results from your data analysis will drive more traffic to SLH’s website, generate buzz and increase consumer awareness of our brand, and establish SLH as a reliable information source for major media outlets.
The ideal candidate should have a love for numbers, consider Excel a second home, have an editorial sensibility, and be able to work collaboratively with multiple teams.
The day to day:
- Ideate, develop, and lead data-driven surveys and studies.
- Analyze third-party data sets to develop pitches and pull out story ideas.
- Create surveys and analyze data collected to support proprietary studies
- Work closely with editors and writers to bring data to life through words and graphics.
- Verify study data in editorial and outreach pieces.
- Collaborate with multiple teams across the organization, including but not limited to Content, Outreach, Product, and Marketing.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Los Angeles, Santiago, and St. Petersburg, Russia.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, Jira, Zoom, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
Because we’re a growing company, most team members wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them, and we place value on the output of each team member, not on the number of hours you spend working.
Transparency plays a large part in our culture and values. We believe team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
We also like to make work as fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5+ years of data analysis experience is required.
- Expert in spotting patterns and trends in data.
- Expertise in Google Sheets, Excel and/or Numbers, SurveyMonkey
- Experience programming data sets and a passion for statistical analysis is strongly preferred.
- Personal finance experience is preferred.
- Writing experience is preferred.
- Self-starter with the ability and desire to work under limited supervision.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Experience in working remotely (preferred)
- Availability to travel up to one week per quarter for work-related activities and events (required)
The Interview Process:
- Preliminary phone screen
- Trial Assignment
- One-on-one interview
- Group interview
- Reference check
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand-new MacBook Pro and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500 per month for a co-working space.
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan. You’ll also get up to $150 per month for a gym membership, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss program, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100 per month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of your annual salary to a retirement account as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.
Back to top