Head of Product Development (Remote)
Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero is on a mission to help 44 million people manage and repay over $1.4 trillion in student loan debt.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Head of Product Development do?
The Head of Product Development is responsible for leading our organization in product strategy and execution. The ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial product leader with a track record of driving revenue growth through user-centric product development and optimization.
Our goal at Student Loan Hero is to help consumers make better, well-informed decisions about their finances through our digital tools and experiences. The Head of Product Development plays a key role, driving end-to-end product development that starts with a deep understanding of what consumers need in order to launch comprehensive products that deliver great customer experiences and align with the overall growth strategy of the business.
This role is both strategic and operational. It requires someone with an ability to not only craft a product vision and advocate the importance of a good design process, but also understand how to build and lead the team, roadmap and processes needed to execute on that strategy.
- Lead and drive the vision of Student Loan Hero’s website and products
- Build, lead, and coach a talented team of product managers, designers and researchers
- Support product teams in identifying user research, usability testing, and A/B testing priorities that align with the overall strategy
- Collaborate with leadership team and business unit leaders across the organization to align the product team’s strategy with the company’s overall strategy, and collaborate across the organization to execute on that strategy.
- Work closely with Product Managers to ensure that they prioritize product ideas and align them with the roadmaps, conversation initiatives, and the overall growth strategy of the company.
- Work with team to develop and groom the product backlog on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis.
- Work with user research and design to ensure a quality user experience across all products
- Drive conversion of audience coming to the site through funnel optimization
- Lead on-time delivery of new features and products with a focus on impactful results
- Support marketing team with acquisition efforts
- Other duties as assigned.
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Los Angeles, Santiago, and St. Petersburg, Russia.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, Jira, Zoom, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
Because we’re a growing company, most team members wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them, and we place value on the output of each team member, not on the number of hours you spend working.
Transparency plays a large part in our culture and values. We believe team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
We also like to make work as fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship is required.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Must have a minimum of 7 years of related experience.
- Experience leading and scaling product teams of 10 or more is required, experience leading and scaling remote product teams is preferred.
- Must be technically savvy with a solid understanding of engineering processes that allows you to work cross-functionally to drive a product vision that aligns with the company’s Engineering team.
- Must understand the value of, and can successfully work with, user research and design to ensure a quality user experience.
- Experience with agile software development practices is preferred.
- Experience with JIRA is preferred.
- Experience with Sketch, InVision, and Zeplin is preferred.
- Coaching and management skills/certification is preferred.
- Deep understanding of data analysis, web analytics and SEO best practices is preferred.
- Understanding of AARRR startup metrics model is preferred.
- Experience in the finance or FinTech space (preferred)
- Experience in working remotely (preferred)
- Availability to travel up to one week per quarter for work-related activities and events (required)
The Interview Process:
- Preliminary phone screen
- Interview with hiring manager
- Interview with product team
- Interview with executive team
- Final interview with CEO and COO
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand new MacBook Pro, and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and 75% for dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Participate in our Learning Reward Program that pays you for your professional development! We also reimburse up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn.
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.
Back to top