Deputy Editor (Remote)
Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero, Inc. is helping 200,000+ borrowers manage and eliminate over $3.5 billion dollars in student loan debt. We’re on a mission to help 44 million Americans manage their student loans smarter.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy
What does the Deputy Editor do?
The Deputy Editor is responsible for shaping the team’s content, working to inform and educate a wide range of readers, from millennials struggling with student debt, to parents investigating ways to fund their children’s college tuition, to young professionals exploring credit opportunities.
The ideal candidate will help strengthen writers’ copy to add informative value and to keep the language engaging and interesting, creating posts that offer invaluable advice while being fun to read at the same time. S/he will also mentor a team of writers while working remotely, helping them develop professionally, and at the same time leading or otherwise taking part in various projects and assisting in the hiring of new writers.
- Leads a team of writers in maintaining a steady flow of high-quality content
- Assists with hiring, training, and performance management of writers on the team
- Conducts competitive research and examines analytic data to develop story ideas
- Edits approximately 12-20 articles per week, sharpening the language and focus, and aligning the articles with overall content goals
- Reviews content to perform final quality assurance check regarding grammar, spelling, punctuation, story structure, accuracy, and reader comprehension before publishing.
- Provides detailed feedback for writers to help them develop their skills
- Works cross-functionally with other teams to ideate and conceptualize other creative editorial assets as needed
- Takes part or leads a wide variety of content-related projects
- Other duties as assigned
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Los Angeles, Santiago, and St. Petersburg, Russia.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, Jira, Zoom, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry — you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
As a growing company, most team members get to wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them. Also, we place value on the output of each team member, and not simply the amount of facetime or hours you spend working.
A large part of our culture and values is transparency — we believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship (required)
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, preferably in online publishing as part of an editorial team or newsroom
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience managing a team of writers
- Knowledge of editorial guidelines, AP style, keyword research, competitive content research, and SEO optimization
- Knowledge of personal financial issues
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and coordinate with colleagues working remotely
- Familiarity with WordPress CMS or similar (preferred)
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and/or Adobe Analytics (preferred)
- Ability to prioritize and delegate effectively
- Excellent decision-making skills, especially related to topic selection and newsworthiness
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and business needs
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor and work supportively within a team
The Interview Process:
- Preliminary phone screen
- Editing assignment
- One-on-one interview
- Group interview
- Executive interview
- Reference check
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand new MacBook Pro, and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.
Back to top