Content Strategist (Remote)
Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero is on a mission to help 44 million people manage and repay over $1.4 trillion in student loan debt.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Content Strategist do?
There are over 44 million Americans living with student loan debt. As the Content Strategist, you will help to connect with that audience through Student Loan Hero’s unique approach to storytelling.
The role of the Content Strategist is crucial to Student Loan Hero’s mission to join and guide the important discussion that users are having about student loans and personal finance topics. Your goal will be to work collaboratively with our Editorial, SEO, Marketing, Email, and Social teams to develop our content mix and find the most effective way to relate with student loan borrowers in a meaningful way through content.
The Content Strategist’s primary responsibility will include working with our SEO & Editorial teams to ideate, frame, package, and optimize content for our primary traffic source: organic search. You will also work to create content ideas across all distribution channels, including but not limited to email, social media, video, and more. The ideal candidate for this role should be highly data-driven, have excellent communication skills, be well-versed in the personal finance space, and have an aptitude for connecting with users through written and visual content. This person should also have fantastic writing skills and an eye for spotting and capitalizing on emerging trends.
- Research and develop processes to grow content across existing distribution channels and help identify new channels for growth
- Assist in monthly development of the SLH editorial calendar by turning strategy into content that matches our audience and business needs
- Work with the Director of SEO and Director of Growth Strategy to ideate and refine content ideas for organic search (our primary traffic channel) based on overall site priorities
- Collaborate with the Email and Social Media teams to develop and execute multi-channel content ideas, strategies, and campaigns
- Successfully monitor and analyze traffic and engagement, as well as provide clear, insightful reporting on key performance metrics on a regular basis to the Content team
- Collaborate with other teams across the organization, including but not limited to Analytics, Outreach, Marketing, Product, and Customer Service to ensure a solid content strategy
- Other responsibilities as assigned
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Los Angeles, Santiago, and St. Petersburg, Russia.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, Jira, Zoom, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
Because we’re a growing company, most team members wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them, and we place value on the output of each team member, not on the number of hours you spend working.
Transparency plays a large part in our culture and values. We believe team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
We also like to make work as fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3-5+ years of content strategy or audience development experience is required
- Self-starter with the ability and desire to work under limited supervision
- Strong project management skills
- Strong understanding of SEO, Email Marketing, Social Media, and Digital Marketing
- Possess strong Excel skills and the ability to manage & analyze large sets of data
- Familiarity with data tools (e.g., Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, email and social reporting tools, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to grow and retain audiences
- Comfortable and excited about ideating and optimizing content
- High level of attention to detail but doesn’t lose sight of the big picture
- Experience in working remotely (preferred)
- Availability to travel up to one week per quarter for work-related activities and events (required)
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand new MacBook Pro, and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and 75% for dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.
Back to top