Principal Electrical Engineer, Electrical/Surgical Instruments
Stryker is one of the world's leading medical technology companies and is dedicated to helping healthcare professionals perform their jobs more efficiently while enhancing patient care. The Company offers a diverse array of innovative medical technologies, including reconstructive, medical and surgical, and neurotechnology and spine products to help people lead more active and more satisfying lives. We are currently seeking a Principal Engineer, Electrical/Surgical Instruments located in Kalamazoo, Michigan
Who we want:
Dedicated achievers. People who thrive in a fast-paced environment and will stop at nothing to ensure a project is complete and meets regulations and expectations.
Goal-oriented developers. Keeping the customer and requirements squarely in focus, people who deliver safe and robust solutions.
Self-directed imitators. People who take ownership of their work and need no prompting to drive productivity, change, and outcomes.
Motivated product launchers. People who bring strategic direction and drive for execution to ensure products are developed and launched with precision.
Collaborative partners. People who build and leverage cross-functional relationships to bring together ideas, information, use cases, and industry analyses to develop best practices.
What You Will Do:
- Provide Leadership and technical direction to the greater R&D Electrical program team for assigned projects including establishing project plans, resources and work to identify critical paths with risk mitigation plans to ensure successful execution of projects.
- Perform a wide variety of technical work in planning and design of products and/or components in the development, application, and approval of design modifications, which will lead to new or improved products/product lines under marketing, cost, time and regulatory constraints.
- Plans and conducts engineering/customer research, design, development and/or manufacturing engineering projects as assigned
- Research, develop, design, test, and document electrical components, equipment, architectures, systems, and networks
- Will monitor and control progress of projects to ensure sound application of engineering principles are used and design intent is being followed/achieved
- Manage cost, schedule, and concurrent engineering efforts through the electrical engineering life-cycle
- Will determine specific processes, development schedules, and product/component designs to meet pre-determined goals and specifications
- Guide the successful completion of major programs and may function in a project leadership role, including indirect oversight of the designs of electronic circuit and/or components of high complexity, through feasibility assessment, requirements capture, part selection, schematics capture, simulation, performing or guiding layout, board bring-up & test, and software integration, design for EMC and manufacturability (DFM)
- Lead technical design review for concept solution, detail design and evaluation result with global team
- Work with cross functional teams to reach consensus on difficult system-level trade-offs to drive solutions
- Ensure NPD performance by driving and motivating the direct/indirect team to achieve metrics
- Maintain broad awareness of efforts within group to assure technical quality excellence, timely completion of work and reviews, appropriate use of resources, and responsiveness to customer / program needs
- Coordinates with other units, vendors and senior managers as needed to ensure specific cost, time and/or regulatory standards are met
- Utilize, and provide leadership to others in utilizing, electronic lab test equipment, such as logic analyzers and oscilloscopes to debug circuit and system issues
- Perform electrical parts' FMEA, reliability, manufacturability and serviceability analysis
- Lead electrical engineering process development, requirements definition, integration, verification and validation
- Conduct feasibility studies, determine manpower and cost estimates, and develop engineering criteria.
- Provide technical direction to department engineers
- Review design and documentation of high complexity to ensure compliance with design criteria and standards Independently determine and develop solutions to solve complex engineering problems.
- Consult and advise internally and externally in technology domains
- Provide leadership, mentoring and performance feedback to more junior engineers and technicians
- Will train others on functional area related topics
- May provide feedback on performance of one or more employees, based on pre-established performance parameters
- Implement or approve engineering documentation of higher complexity
- Will have contact with customers
- Keep track on new technology, methodology and design concepts, while identifying and developing new opportunities to leverage Strategic Sourcing objectives and Common Technology initiatives
- Collaborate with manufacturing partners and suppliers to ensure design for manufacturability
- Complete and maintain all required quality system training and comply with all quality system procedures
- Perform other related duties as assigned
What You Need:
- Bachelor's degree in in Electrical Engineering or related field with 10 years' experience
- Master's degree is preferred
- Electrical design and product development experience
- Demonstrated understanding of, and ability to, follow good electrical development processes, along with assisting others through the process
- Experience developing products in a regulated industry such as medical or avionics, including demonstrated design experience in safety critical hardware design is preferred
- Proven track record of understanding, conceptualizing and defining system level architecture preferred
- Experience leading electromechanical embedded system design projects and familiarity with embedded software design is preferred
- Experience and success with concept-to-production engineering, including high level design, detailed design, schematic entry, analog simulation, layout management, prototype assembly logistics, board bring-up, lab debugging, system integration, design verification, and manufacturing hand-off is preferred
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principle, theories, and concepts in the field of electrical engineering, including but not limited to power supplies, precision low level analog designs, A/D and D/A converters, battery chargers and monitor circuits and FPGA designs Is preferred
- Proficiency with Cadence SPB, OrCAD, Perforce, Salae Logic and/or equivalent circuit design and simulation tools is preferred
- Experience with signal processing, algorithm development, and data analysis is preferred
- Time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities is preferred
- Experience in eCentral or any other PLM equivalent is preferred
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the IEC 60601-x standards is preferred
Work From Home: No
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
Stryker Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. Stryker is an EO employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability.
Stryker Corporation will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
Meet Some of Stryker's Medical business's Employees
Anish P.Chief Mechanical Engineer
Anish oversees new product development, working with a team that focuses on complex electromechanical systems in order to find innovative ways to make healthcare better.
Back to top