Legal Counsel, Investigations (EMEA)
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
The Legal Counsel, Investigations works closely with other members of the Investigations team, as well as members of the Legal & Compliance team and business and functional unit leads. As a member of the Investigations team, this person will be responsible for participating in and leading investigations (as necessary/appropriate) related to a broad range of significant legal and compliance issues. This person will focus on high and critical matters that involve senior leadership, may have significant financial impact or may require reporting or interacting with government/enforcement agencies This person will have or develop an in-depth understanding of Stryker's global business, our current approach to investigations and participate in programs and trainings aimed at Stryker having a robust, sustainable approach to investigations. This person will also be responsible for identifying and monitoring internal and external enforcement trends to assess and advise colleagues and senior business leaders on risks and recommending potential actions or solutions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Guiding/supervising/overseeing and/or participating in complex investigations globally. The person in this role will oversee and be held accountable for the development and implementation of broad-scale plans, tasks, and initiatives related to investigations into high and critical matters including alleged violation of laws, regulations, and Stryker policies, as well as alleged misconduct by senior level employees. Such duties may include collecting and reviewing documents, conducting interviews, and coordinating other investigative activities to ascertain facts and conduct root cause analysis.
- This person will be leading investigation teams consisting of finance team, outside counsel, Global Compliance team, subject matter experts and other consultants. Communicating fact findings, advising on relevant risks and providing advice, counsel and recommendations to Senior Leadership in order to implement appropriate corrective and preventative actions.
- Partnering with Global Compliance team to identify risks and develop and implement trainings to address issues identified in an effort to reduce future risk.
- Assessing current in-house talent, capabilities, and needs related to investigations in order to develop the function and an Investigations Center of Excellence.
- Developing an in-depth knowledge of, following, developing, improving, updating, and implementing investigation policies, processes, and procedures as well as in-house training and education.
- Preparing or overseeing the preparation of clear, concise, detailed investigation reports that support the findings, conclusions, and recommendations about the matter under investigation as well as any matters outside the original scope of the investigation.
- Learning, knowing, and understanding policies related to Risk Assessment, Training and Communication, Auditing and Monitoring including the associated metrics.
- Planning and developing, and training and executing on a strategic approach to investigations.
- Advising and partnering with Global Compliance team and Legal Department colleagues to develop training on current and emerging industry trends, legislation, laws, regulations, and Stryker policies and providing recommendations on potential updates to or changes in Stryker policies.
- Identifying and engaging, and training and participating in the on-going management of one or more colleagues, or direct or indirect employees, as part of constructing and deconstructing teams for each investigation.
- Collaborating and effectively communicating with Lega/Compliance colleagues, other Stryker colleagues (e.g., Human Resources and Internal Audit), senior management, and outside counsel to ensure alignment among and between these resources as well as with Stryker's Compliance Program.
- Providing timely advice and counsel, including recommendations on corrective and preventative actions.
- Assisting on other matters as needed.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum 5 years applicable professional experience including significant in-house and/or external law firm or government experience conducting investigations.
- Experience providing timely legal advice in a highly regulated environment preferred.
- Spanish and Italian proficiency a plus.
- Understands deeply and connects with all Stryker stakeholders..
- Demonstrates excellent judgment, professional demeanor, business acumen, and executive presence.
- Collaborates with colleagues, peers, and other key stakeholders and leads efforts in a global organization.
- Initiates, embraces, and drives change in a dynamic environment characterized by evolving needs and demands.
- Possesses excellent analytical and drafting skills.
- Demonstrates and drives a commitment to integrity and accountability.
- Has a general understanding of business financials and reporting.
- Possesses excellent organizational skills and ability to manage numerous projects and conflicting demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates excellent communications and interpersonal skills and the ability to convey complex legal principles clearly and concisely at all levels, including senior executive level, of corporate organization.
- Maintains highly sensitive and confidential information.
Work From Home: Regularly scheduled days
Travel Percentage: 40%
Back to top