Consulting Software Developer - Chicago, IL
- New York, NY
About Stride Consulting
Stride Consulting is the missing piece of the puzzle that combines deep technical expertise with the ability to feel deeply and passionately about human experience. We continually learn and implement best practices to put people first, and in turn, help other organizations put people first. Our thought leaders teach, our consultants coach, and our practitioners mentor and pair. We collaborate at all levels to engineer elegant things that delight and surprise while arriving at the essence of what people need: meaningful outcomes and more valuable, useful, and sustainable human and software systems.
Our fifteen-year goal is to create a measurable good in the world with socially conscious, ethical, and humane organizations that foster social equity, provide environmental stewardship, and engage with local communities. As a services company, our path to making this impact is to build our identity around working with clients who make this impact themselves becoming one of them in the process.
And, while COVID-19 made a lot of things very challenging, we continued to find success and are excited to be expanding from New York City to Charlotte, NC; Denver, CO; and Chicago, IL! We believe small, locally curated teams are happier and more fulfilled in their work when working with their peers. The positions are remote until it is safe to open a physical space, and will be work-from-home-friendly when the office space opens.
All complex systems have simple rules that drive their operation.
We defined our values as the simple rules that drive how Striders behave in small and large ways, in all different job functions, with each other and with clients. You can read more about these here!
Diversity & Inclusion
Stride Consulting was founded on the premise that all teams have the potential to be high-functioning, empowered, and happy. As we grow, it is important to our culture and our business that we strengthen our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Our team and all teams that Stride works with will benefit, as a result. Diverse teams solve complex problems better, perform better, and have higher morale.
Being truly committed to diversity and inclusion means doing the right thing when no one is looking. It means equal pay for equal work. It means having a zero-tolerance policy on harassment. It means giving everyone a voice and listening when they speak. It means sacrificing revenue by being willing to fire a vendor or client for failing to uphold our code of conduct in order to maintain a safe working environment for all.
Diversity and Inclusion is not something you can ever consider “done.” It is not a checkbox on a to-do list. It is a mindset, a way of conducting ourselves day in and day out.
At Stride, we pride ourselves on working hard to combat unconscious bias both in our hiring process and in our everyday work. We don’t assume we’ve gotten it all perfect. Instead, we continuously look for areas of improvement. Above all, we are humble and willing to learn every single day.
What you can expect from us
- A sustainable, inclusive work environment with fulfilling experiences geared toward continuous learning on things that interest you
- 20 days paid time off and 8 company-observed paid holidays
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Company-matched 401k
- $2,000 for self-directed professional development and hours dedicated to learning and development
- Health insurance - medical, dental, and vision
- Pre-tax benefits - commuter, FSA, HSA
- Income protection - life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability
- One Medical and LiveHealth Online
- Discounts on pet insurance
- Collaborate with client engineers, other Striders, product managers, and designers to deliver features while improving the code quality of the application
- Suggest potential improvements to existing and greenfield applications
- Work with a senior member of the team to solve for project constraints, including time, scope, and budget, as well as unique project constraints with performance, compliance, and security
- Implement XP and agile practices, including articulating the benefits of each practice, such as version control, continuous integration, and continuous deployment; learn to strategically and incrementally use agile practices that are best for the project’s unique constraints and business needs
- Contribute to shared learning of new skills (e.g., frameworks, languages) and engineering practices such as testing, version control, and design
- Use your knowledge of the product life cycle and deliver working software solutions as early as possible. Build a solution and testbase that can be responsibly transitioned to client teams. Onboard and train clients into the new systems and processes that have been created for further development and operation.
As a Strider, you’ll find a learning opportunity that is unmatched. You will:
- Be part of a values-driven culture, one that has a 4.6 star Glassdoor review and has won Crain’s Best Places to Work 3 years in a row
- Have the exciting opportunity to join a brand new team and build the culture in Chicago, and expand Stride's footprint in the tech community with the backing of Striders who have been doing it for years.
- Write high-quality code with some of the smartest engineers in town - work for one company, impact many!
- Immerse yourself in a learning journey that’s second to none. Nowhere else will you find the variety that being a consultant brings
- Mentor and be mentored. Learning weaves a thread through all that we do
You’re a fit for Stride if you have
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional team members to achieve shared outcomes
- Familiarity or experience with a variety of agile practices, such as pairing, TDD, and team events facilitation (e.g., sprint planning, demos, retrospectives)
- The ability to contribute in discussions about trade-offs of different technical approaches, such as object-oriented versus functional programming, design patterns, API design, integration patterns
- An empathetic approach to setting and managing expectations and the ability to cultivate relationships with team members and
- Experience setting and managing expectations with senior decision-makers is a plus
Stride Consulting is committed to equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to gender, race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law. Stride Consulting is an equal opportunity employer; committed to a community of inclusion, and an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Back to top