Senior Data Engineer
- Arlington, VA
Who We Are:
Storyblocks is a different kind of content company delivering a fresh approach to meet the creative needs of a new generation of storytellers. Built on the belief that all stories deserve a chance to be told, Storyblocks provides video, audio, images and easy to use creative tools through its unique subscription model. By offering unlimited downloads and continually adding fresh content, Storyblocks challenges the paradigm that your ambitious vision requires deep pockets. We are committed to empowering storytellers by removing creative barriers and democratizing video creation.
Driven by a set of five company core values, our culture is shaped by a love for data, fearless communication, community, zero egos, and everyone emptying the dishwasher (both literally and figuratively).
Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Storyblocks has been recognized as one of Washington D.C.'s Top Workplaces by The Washington Post, among the Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal, and by the Washingtonian as one of DC’s 50 Great Places to Work.
Who You Are:
You are an experienced backend engineer who is familiar with the landscape of data-related technologies and practices. You enjoy collaborating with other engineers on projects and working with consumers of data to understand their needs and translate them into solutions. You understand how to make tradeoffs based on your previous experience and know how to scope projects to deliver results while minimizing technical debt. You have solid intuition when it comes to application data architecture, streaming data architecture, data lakes, distributed computing, and ETLs.
What you will do:
- Work weekly with motivated engineers and stakeholders to enable their teams with asynchronous messaging on a Kakfa pipeline that you help build and maintain.
- Create and measure an anomaly detection system for business metrics to drastically improve the company’s mean time to discovery for important events.
- Own the construction of frameworks to help our machine learning team deploy models and jobs into production.
- Attend and run book clubs, online course discussions, and other continuous learning events on the data engineering team and beyond.
- Give monthly lightning talks to the wider engineering team and company about the cultural changes you are trying to drive using data.
- Collaborate frequently with analysts, data scientists, and engineers to solve their problems and build new features.
- Help the company and the engineering team adapt to a data-streaming mentality.
- Work with analytics and machine learning teams to troubleshoot notebooks and jobs running Apache Spark.
- Be a thought leader in designing the roadmap for the future of data at Storyblocks.
What you bring to the table:
- 4+ years overall software engineering experience.
- 2+ years experience working as a Data Engineer or equivalent role.
- Strong experience working with structured and unstructured data.
- Experience working with data lake technologies like Hive, Parquet, and S3.
- Experience with data warehouse technologies like Redshift.
- Experience with streaming technologies like Apache Kafka and Spark.
- Experience maintaining or designing ETL processes in Airflow, AWS DMS, etc.
- Experience partnering with stakeholders to understand their requirements and provide data which can help them observe patterns and spot anomalies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You are very experienced in Python and Scala/Java.
- You have designed or architected production systems from the ground up.
- You have networking/DevOps experience.
- You have some experience building web applications in PHP or NodeJS.
What We Bring to the Table:
- Virtual Work - Storyblocks has adjusted to the COVID-19 pandemic by creating a flexible, work-from-home environment. We have migrated to a distributed work model and allow employees to choose remote work options that suits their unique situations.
- Competitive and fair compensation - We believe in fair pay--equal pay for equal work. For each title, we have consistently applied competitive salary bands based on market data and benchmarks. What you’ve been paid before, fear of conflict, or willingness to negotiate does not play a part.
- Company-paid medical - Our medical, dental and vision premiums are covered 100% for you and your dependents.
- Paid parental leave - Welcoming new family members is exciting, but it can also be challenging. We offer twelve weeks paid leave for primary caregivers and four weeks for secondary caregivers. Additionally, we have a dedicated private nursing room available to new parents.
- Unlimited vacation - At Storyblocks we take vacation seriously. That means take the time off when you need it. Don’t worry about tracking hours or accounting for partial days. Typically employees take about three or four weeks each year.
- Flexible work-from-home options - Much of our workflow is online, and for meetings, we have dedicated video-conferencing setups. As long as you deliver results, you are welcome to get your work done outside of the office or during unusual times when desired.
- Company-sponsored mentorship and growth - We have a formal mentorship program that involves regular career and growth conversations. “360-degree” feedback is collected twice a year and synthesized into actionable, peer-reviewed, performance reviews. We happily foot the bill for conferences and online courses that will add value to the organization. We encourage attending meetups and are happy to host them as well.
- Casual Work Environment - Sure we all get dressed up once in a while, but in general we want you to be comfortable at the office – whatever that means to you (flip-flops, shorts, jeans, etc.).
- Fully stocked kitchen - Everyone gets input on the food and drinks we stock in our shared refrigerators and snack room. We have multiple mechanisms for making coffee and cold-brew kegs are often on tap.
- Dogs in the office - We love dogs and we will probably love your dog too. With help from a calendar, we allow employees to bring in their dogs to help guide us through the day.
Storyblocks supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
Back to top