Full Stack Software Engineer
- Arlington, VA
Who We Are:
Storyblocks is a different kind of content company delivering a fresh approach to meet the creative needs of a new generation of storytellers. Built on the belief that all stories deserve a chance to be told, Storyblocks provides video, audio, images and easy to use creative tools through its unique subscription model. By offering unlimited downloads and continually adding fresh content, Storyblocks challenges the paradigm that your ambitious vision requires deep pockets. We are committed to empowering storytellers by removing creative barriers and democratizing video creation.
Driven by a set of five company core values, our culture is shaped by a love for data, fearless communication, community, zero egos, and everyone emptying the dishwasher (both literally and figuratively).
Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Storyblocks has been recognized as one of Washington D.C.'s Top Workplaces by The Washington Post, among the Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal, and by the Washingtonian as one of DC’s 50 Great Places to Work.
Storyblocks has adjusted to the COVID-19 pandemic by creating a flexible, work-from-home environment. All employees are free to work from wherever they like through at least June 2021 (or later depending on vaccine rollouts).
Who You Are:
We are looking for a full-stack software engineer to join our team of developers and help design and build solutions that will enable creators to best tell their digital stories. Our software engineers work in fast-paced, highly-collaborative multi-functional teams to continue to drive technical solutions to emerging business problems. We are technology-agnostic and believe in using the best tools for the job. We are continuing to break up our monolithic application into a collection of services with varying technologies and architectures. Multiple times each day, engineers manage and kick off production deployments of their latest and greatest work for millions of users to interact with.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Battle-Hardened Experience - You have been writing clean, maintainable, and well-tested code for 2+ years. Experience with NodeJS and React a plus.
- Dependable coder - You can rapidly and robustly develop features (along with automated tests) within an agile environment for our core products and supporting technologies.
- Full-feature ownership - You are comfortable owning a feature across the entire technology stack, from adjusting styles to optimizing a database query. If your friend asked you to build that underwater basketweaving social networking website for them that they’ve always wanted, you could.
- Kaizen (philosophy of continuous improvement) - You are eager to find ways to improve the way we do things. You are a regular participant in code reviews, design reviews, and retrospectives.
- Ownership mentality - You are happy to engage at the problem-level, communicating directly with our product, marketing, sales, customer service, finance, and content teams as needed to regularly discuss prioritization, refine requirements, and develop features.
- Curiosity - You are willing to dive into unknown territory and try out that new technology or create a proof of concept for that crazy idea. You are excited to come up with fun projects for our regular hackathons.
What We Bring to the Table:
- Competitive and fair compensation - We believe in fair pay--equal pay for equal work. For each title, we have consistently applied competitive salary bands based on market data and benchmarks. What you’ve been paid before, fear of conflict, or willingness to negotiate does not play a part.
- Company-paid medical - Our medical, dental and vision premiums are covered 100% for you and your dependents.
- Paid parental leave - Welcoming new family members is exciting, but it can also be challenging. We offer twelve weeks paid leave for primary caregivers and four weeks for secondary caregivers. Additionally, we have a dedicated private nursing room available to new parents.
- Unlimited vacation - At Storyblocks we take vacation seriously. That means take the time off when you need it. Don’t worry about tracking hours or accounting for partial days. Typically employees take about three or four weeks each year.
- Flexible work-from-home options - Much of our workflow is online, and for meetings, we have dedicated video-conferencing setups. As long as you deliver results, you are welcome to get your work done outside of the office or during unusual times when desired.
- Company-sponsored mentorship and growth - We have a formal mentorship program that involves regular career and growth conversations. “360-degree” feedback is collected twice a year and synthesized into actionable, peer-reviewed, performance reviews. We happily foot the bill for conferences and online courses that will add value to the organization. We encourage attending meetups and are happy to host them as well.
- Casual Work Environment - Sure we all get dressed up once in a while, but in general we want you to be comfortable at the office – whatever that means to you (flip-flops, shorts, jeans, etc.).
- Fully stocked kitchen - Everyone gets input on the food and drinks we stock in our shared refrigerators and snack room. We have multiple mechanisms for making coffee and cold-brew kegs are often on tap.
- Dogs in the office - We love dogs and we will probably love your dog too. With help from a calendar, we allow employees to bring in their dogs to help guide us through the day.
Storyblocks supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
Back to top