Director, Machine Learning
- Arlington, VA
Who we are :
Storyblocks is a different kind of content company delivering a fresh approach to meet the creative needs of a new generation of storytellers. Built on the belief that all stories deserve a chance to be told, Storyblocks provides video, audio, images, and easy to use creative tools through its unique subscription model. By offering unlimited downloads and continually adding fresh content, Storyblocks challenges the paradigm that your ambitious vision requires deep pockets. We are committed to empowering storytellers by removing creative barriers and democratizing video creation.
Driven by a set of five company core values, our culture is shaped by a love for data, fearless communication, community, zero egos, and everyone emptying the dishwasher (both literally and figuratively).
Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Storyblocks has been recognized as one of Washington D.C.'s Top Workplaces by The Washington Post, among the Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal, and by the Washingtonian as one of DC’s 50 Great Places to Work.
Storyblocks has adjusted to the COVID-19 pandemic by creating a flexible, work-from-home environment. All employees are free to work from wherever they like through at least June 2021 (or later depending on vaccine rollouts).
Who You Are:
Storyblocks is looking for a Director of Data Science who will lead a team of top-notch data scientists responsible for some of the most impactful projects we do at Storyblocks. Whether it's building out systems, introducing new capabilities, or maintaining our existing data ecosystem, we are always driven by impact to our customers. If you are looking for a place where, on any given day, you could be enhancing our search algorithms, building out new machine learning models to improve our content, or creating completely new capabilities that empower our users and basing all of it on data analysis, then this is the right place for you.
What You'll Do:
- Total ownership of the data science function
- You will own both the long-term technical strategy and the day-to-day operations, including fostering innovation and implementing best practices for the Data Science organization
- Turning strategy into reality
- You own the vision and roadmap for Data Science, Machine Learning and AI by working with your team, stakeholders, and executives across the company
- You will use your expertise in data science to research and recommend solutions to our technology and business problems
- You will ensure that the Data Science team drives direct impact by identifying opportunities to support business goals and prioritizing the most important projects
- You will evaluate and recommend research investments today to unlock growth in the future
- You will develop strong working partnerships with data engineering and product teams to facilitate cross-functional modeling and development
- Shepherd of technical excellence
- You will keep abreast of the best practices and data strategies and provide technical leadership to yield innovative differentiating solutions
- You will strive to keep the team cutting-edge and be a regular value-added participant in design reviews, architecture and technology discussions, and retrospectives
- Team development
- You will recruit, retain, and develop a diverse collection of top talent on the data science team that is continuing to grow. You will put processes in place to ensure team members continue to “level up” their skills and abilities
What You Bring to the Table:
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Data Science leader and have successfully managed individual data scientists
- You have a deep understanding of current data science best practices in several of the following domains: NLP, computer vision, audio/video analysis, search, predictive analytics, recommender systems, deep learning, and more
- You have experience working with modern data technologies like Spark, Hive, Redshift, Kakfa, Mongo, and S3 and the AWS ecosystem, etc
- You have experience with Machine Learning technologies like XGBoost, TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, etc
- You can work with people at all levels and departments to advocate for new capabilities and turn existing requirements into impactful capabilities
- You have a track record of delivering data-driven products and insights and influencing product and engineering decisions
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to both concrete and ambiguous problems
- You keep up with the industry trends and identify new tools to use to solve data science problems
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other data scientists, but secretly love getting elbow-deep in code when the opportunities arise
- You have experience hiring and growing a data science team
What We Bring to the Table:
- Virtual Work - Storyblocks has adjusted to the COVID-19 pandemic by creating a flexible, work-from-home environment. All employees are free to work from wherever they like through at least April 2021 (or later depending on vaccine rollouts).
- Competitive and fair compensation - We believe in fair pay--equal pay for equal work. For each title, we have consistently applied competitive salary bands based on market data and benchmarks. What you’ve been paid before, fear of conflict, or willingness to negotiate does not play a part.
- Company-paid medical - Our medical, dental, and vision premiums are covered 100% for you and your dependents.
- Paid parental leave - Welcoming new family members is exciting, but it can also be challenging. We offer twelve weeks paid leave for primary caregivers and four weeks for secondary caregivers. Additionally, we have a dedicated private nursing room available to new parents.
- Unlimited vacation - At Storyblocks we take vacation seriously. That means take the time off when you need it. Don’t worry about tracking hours or accounting for partial days. Typically employees take about three or four weeks each year.
- Flexible work-from-home options - Much of our workflow is online, and for meetings, we have dedicated video-conferencing setups. As long as you deliver results, you are welcome to get your work done outside of the office or during unusual times when desired.
- Company-sponsored mentorship and growth - We have a formal mentorship program that involves regular career and growth conversations. “360-degree” feedback is collected twice a year and synthesized into actionable, peer-reviewed, performance reviews. We happily foot the bill for executive coaches, conferences, and online courses that will add value to the organization. We encourage attending meetups and are happy to host them as well.
- Casual work environment - Sure we all get dressed up once in a while, but in general we want you to be comfortable at the office – whatever that means to you (flip-flops, shorts, jeans, etc.).
- Fully stocked kitchen - Everyone gets input on the food and drinks we stock in our shared refrigerators and snack room. We have multiple mechanisms for making coffee and cold-brew kegs are often on tap.
- Dogs in the office - We love dogs and we will probably love your dog too. With help from a calendar, we allow employees to bring in their dogs to help guide us through the day.
Storyblocks supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
Back to top