Events + Programming Manager (KY/OH/PA)
Once upon a time, a store in NYC named STORY created an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. We believed that shopping could be more than just about buying things. We decided to act like a magazine, change our theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks. Our neighbors at Macy’s saw an opportunity to take what we had created inside one store and take it to the rest of America - and in April 2018, STORY officially joined the Macy’s family. Our address has now changed to 36 Macy’s stores across the country, but our community-centered mission and ever-changing DNA is very much the same.
STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Events + Programming Manager is responsible for the organization and management of programming and events across multiple locations to foster STORY’s overall theme narrative and create community engagement. This role is unlike a typical Events Manager because STORY thoughtfully and strategically integrates eventing into merchandising, content creation, engagement and access. You’ll be challenged to implement and create multiple events a week across all locations in a manner in which has not yet been done! You’ll also be part of a cross-functional team of expert colleagues working in new ways—more agile, more adaptive —so throw the old playbook away. A typical day for this role might include identifying and retaining local vendor relationships, engaging new in-store event partners and meeting with store leadership to gain feedback and insights. This individual will also be responsible for consistent collaboration with Store Managers and Director of Sponsorship + Partnerships. In the end, it’s all about (internal + external!) community engagement. This role reports to the Director of Events.
This position will be seated in Ohio but will be supporting our STORY locations in Kentucky, Ohio, and Pittsburgh. These stores include Fayette, Easton, Polaris, Kenwood, and Ross Park.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Organizing and implementing logistics for weekly events programming aligned with STORY event guidelines and criteria.
- Liaising with Director of Sponsorship + Partnerships and Director of Events to ensure all sponsored events are executed as agreed and all needed materials have been ordered and supplied.
- Identifying and creating relationships with local influencers and institutions to organize engaging and timely events.
- Overseeing and identifying local vendor relationships for monthly event partnerships.
- Managing event budgets for each location to keep within monthly parameters and providing monthly reports.
- Working with onsite STORY managers for all event execution and ensuring they are trained and versed in event management, logistics and set up.
- Creating run of shows, timelines and logistic one-pagers for each event and location.
- Ensure all events are organized and planned in time for monthly copy deadlines, and relevant copy and photos are uploaded for the editing team.
- Uploading events to website for promotion and create event listings for RSVPs.
- Overseeing printed materials for events at each location.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it.
- At least 5 years of experience in event programming and production.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to adapt quickly
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Strong communication, both in-person and through modern tools and platforms
- Deep empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice.
- Cross-functional exposure and experience in past roles.
- Financial and operational acumen.
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Travel will be expected
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Back to top