Director of Marketing
Once upon a time, a store in NYC named STORY created an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. We believed that shopping could be more than just about buying things. We decided to act like a magazine, change our theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks. Our neighbors at Macy’s saw an opportunity to take what we had created inside one store and take it to the rest of America - and in April 2018, STORY officially joined the Macy’s family. Our address has now changed to 36 Macy’s stores across the country, but our community-centered mission and ever-changing DNA is very much the same.
STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Director of Marketing exists to manage our marketing strategy and develop new ideas while simultaneously interfacing with external stakeholders and our colleagues at Macy’s. This role is unlike a typical marketing director role because it encompasses a broad scope covering digital marketing, print, outdoor advertising, social, paid search and influencer marketing. You will get the rare opportunity to oversee and own national launch of new campaigns around 6 times a year, because every new STORY has a new narrative, product, sponsors, events - creating an entirely new store! You’ll be part of a cross-functional team of expert colleagues working in new ways—more agile and more adaptive—so throw the old playbook away. There is no typical day - one day may include spending time with internal Macy’s partners to review assets for macys.com while other days you are reaching out to creative collaborators for a social campaign or collaborating with mall partners on mall marketing strategy. In the end, it’s all about leveraging existing knowhow and using it to figure out new ways to accomplish things quickly.
This role reports to the VP of STORYtelling within the Brand Experience team.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Act as the main liaison between Macy’s marketing teams, external partners, and consultants to execute a marketing launch strategy, plan ongoing activations, and develop a playbook for future stories.
- Thoughtfully design marketing strategy and evolve content based on different customer segments informed by varying levels of engagement, demographics, and psychographics.
- Identify opportunities to AB test by monitoring engagement, return on marketing investment, and insights from social listening tools.
- Develop an influencer strategy to identify, recruit and help manage influencers and third party content creators.
- Be the guardian of how we amplify our message across the marketing ecosystem, ensuring consistent and clarity.
- Manage a pipeline of organic, episodic, and planned content across channels leading to launch and throughout the life of a story.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it.
- 6+ years experience in marketing, content strategy and digital planning, ideally have held multiple roles with responsibilities in marketing with a proven ability to use content to drive business performance and brand equity.
- Domain expertise across multiple marketing channels, especially in digital marketing and traditional advertising, with an understanding of major platforms and their respective strengths and demographics.
- Experience working in an omni-channel environment, where engaging and consistent content are required for multiple distribution channels in a nonlinear consumer journey.
- Expertise working with third parties and external partners to execute content.
- Experience in designing AB tests to identifying meaningful, actionable insights from campaigns
- Ability to navigate both the creative and analytical sides of marketing, tying strategies to concrete business outcomes/learnings.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to adapt quickly - willing to execute and roll up your sleeves, not just manage.
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice.
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures while navigating more traditional ones simultaneously.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Created Date: 1/29/2019 Updated Date: 4/23/2019
Back to top