State Street is seeking an attorney with 1 to 6 years' experience in corporate law to join a busy corporate legal team. The role will primarily support M&A, minority investment and other strategic transaction activity and will also support other corporate areas [e.g., technology/procurement legal and corporate governance] where needed. Prior law firm experience desired. Candidates preferred to be based in Boston and report to the Boston office, but may work remotely from home in an alternate approved U.S. location.
Why this role is important to us:
The team you will be joining plays an important role in the overall success of the organization.
Across the globe, institutional investors rely on us to help them manage risk, respond to challenges, and drive performance and profitability. To make that happen, we need teams like yours to help navigate employees and the organization as a whole. In your role, you will strive for cutting-edge solutions, that are straightforward and scalable.
You will help us build resilience and execute day to day deliverables at our best. Join us, if making your mark in the financial services industry from day one is a challenge you are up for.
As Associate Counsel you will:
- Prepare, review and negotiate documentation related to M&A, investment and other transactional activities, including NDAs, term sheets, purchase agreements, letters of intent, shareholder agreements (including NVCA style documents) and ancillary documents;
- Oversee external counsel;
- Advise business-line and financial professionals on deal terms and structuring;
- Collaborate across functions within our global organization to maintain effective communication and understanding and manage transaction processes;
- Support the provision of legal services to other corporate areas, where needed. Areas may include: corporate governance, employment, executive compensation, global operations, intellectual property and technology/procurement transactions.
- Special projects as needed; and
- Provide support to senior attorneys on related project work.
These skills will help you succeed in this role:
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collegially with internal clients, outside counsel, and other members of the legal team;
- Strong legal acumen and writing skills, each balanced with a commercial understanding/appreciation and an execution-oriented mindset;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and multiple priorities efficiently and with a high caliber of work product
- Strong organizational skills and independent follow through on issues and tasks; and
- Capable of producing high quality routine work with general supervision.
Education & Preferred Qualifications:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school;
- Admitted to practice in good standing in at least one U.S. jurisdiction; and
- 1 to 6 years of experience in corporate law practice required; experience with M&A and similar transactions desirable.
- Able to participate in video conferences and, if based outside of the Boston area, occasionally travel to the Boston office for key meetings.
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we're making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we've been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You'll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees' diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Discover more at StateStreet.com/careers