Transportation Maintainer 3 (37.5 Hour)
This State of Connecticut position is responsible for the maintenance and control of trees and roadside growth and requires skill in climbing and cutting trees. It is a 37.5 hour position that is located in the Wallingford Maintenance Facility. The hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
Incumbents in this class will be required to have a 20-mile residency from the job location.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Applicants invited to interview will be requested to supply a copy of their Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, with Tank Endorsement, valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC); thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1)
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Michele Joyce at email@example.com
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of skilled tasks at less than the journeyman level in the construction, maintenance and repair of state roadsides, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains the more complex mechanical equipment; works as a skilled mechanic at less than the journeyman level in the repair of mechanical equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- Elevation platform
- Line marking machine (10 wheel, barrel type)
- Concrete saws
- Core drills
-Front End Loader
- Hand operated pavement marking machine
- Driver of wing truck with plows attached during snow and ice truck operations
- Performing skilled tasks in one or more of the following areas or trades: construction, maintenance, mechanical repair
- Sign Erector (general)
- In addition to other duties, may assist a Transportation Maintenance Manager in preparing and checking reports.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports; knowledge of processes and materials used in construction and maintenance trades; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to use and make ordinary repairs to more complex mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment as listed on attached Addendum; ability to keep shop records and prepare reports; ability to use, set up and maintain ordinary bench and other shop machine tools and equipment; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment, or in work in one of the recognized maintenance trades.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for the General Experience.
Experience in the maintenance and control of trees and roadside growth including skill in climbing and cutting trees and performing related duties.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbent in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform theduties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Meet Some of State of Connecticut's Employees
Transportation Supervising Engineer
Priti works in bridge consultant design at the Connecticut Department of Transportation. She focuses on improving the roads and bridges for the state.
Back to top