The State of Connecticut, Southern Connecticut State University is currently recruiting for one (1) Police Sergeant. This is a full-time, first shift position that is available to current employees within the Board of Regents.
Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice.
Founded as a teachers college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of more than 10,000 students, offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System.
The University is located in New Haven, a city rich with arts and culture, and less than 90 miles from New York City and 140 miles from Boston.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current employee of the Board of Regents, Connecticut State Colleges and Universities, who has permanent state status, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Tisha Miller at email@example.com, (203) 392-5572.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, college or university this class is used in two ways:
- Supervising and participating in the activities of an assigned shift engaged in providing for the security and protection of lives and/or property through the enforcement of state statutes and regulations.
- Assisting a Lieutenant in supervising operations of a facility protective services operation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Supervises and assists an assigned staff in performance of police functions and duties including orientation, training, counseling, evaluation and discipline in accordance with department standards; assigns duties and reviews results for accuracy, effectiveness and conformance with policy; reviews and evaluates courtesy and attitude toward public; studies, analyzes and evaluates tasks performed on shift; reviews and maintains police officer reports, records and logs and submits pertinent reports; coordinates exchange of information among shifts or with other law enforcement agencies; implements established procedures to minimize various law enforcement matters; performs full range of public enforcement, protection, security and administrative functions as assigned to subordinate staff; responds to complaints of police error, improper actions or negligence; supervises, coordinates and conducts investigations, special assignments and emergency response situations; may be temporarily assigned to long term serious investigations; may train, assist in and/or supervise training of departmental personnel; may serve as dispatcher; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of police and security practices and procedures; knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; knowledge of criminal law and court procedures; knowledge of traffic control practices and procedures; basic knowledge of training practices and procedures; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; ability to analyze emergency situations and develop effective courses of action; supervisory ability, ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience as a Police Officer in an organized police department or within state service.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
A Bachelor's degree may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
1. Candidates for this class are subject to selection standards pursuant to Section 7-294-a-e of the Connecticut General Statutes and the regulations of the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council.
2. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain authority from the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection to "arrest and present before a competent authority any person for any offense committed within his precinct". (Connecticut General Statutes 29-18 and/or 10a-142)
3. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain certification as a law enforcement officer in the State of Connecticut pursuant to Section 7-294-a-e of the Connecticut General Statutes and the regulations promulgated by the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council. Loss of certification will result in removal from the class.
4. Incumbents in this class may be required to maintain certifications pursuant to the regulations of the Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council and/or agency requirements.
5. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
6. Incumbents in this class may be required to obtain and retain Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification.
7. Incumbents in this class must be eligible and qualified to bear arms.
8. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have general good health, be free from any disease or injury which would impair health or usefulness and possess and retain sufficient physical strength, stamina, agility, endurance and visual and auditory acuity required, to perform the duties of the class.
2. Applicants may be required to pass a physical examination.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to unpleasant and/or dangerous situations which could cause injury or loss of life, to uncomfortable weather conditions and/or to confinement within a vehicle for prolonged periods.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Back to top