Information Technology Manager 2
Are you looking for the next step in your IT career?
Do you want to provide the most efficient and effective technical support services while managing a team of IT experts in the public sector?
If so, discover this opportunity to join the State of Connecticut Department of Children and Families (DCF) IT Division! We are recruiting for a full-time forty (40) hours per week Information Technology Manager 2.
Our division serves to support the agency's mission of improving the lives of children, so they are healthy, safe, smart, and strong.
In this crucial role, you will:
- Provide management and oversight of a large IT team
- Plan, migrate, support, and update a variety of applications and databases.
- Provide leadership and accountability for performance, development, and mentoring of staff among other key responsibilities.
Easily accessible for all commuters, you'll find us at 505 Hudson Street in Hartford.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application with their submission. Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Should you have questions pertaining to any phase of this recruitment, please contact the hiring agency's human resources office: Frances Leon, email@example.com, (860) 550-6489.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
Within the Department of Administrative Services, Bureau of Enterprise Systems and Technology and Centers of Information Technology Excellence, these classes are accountable for the management and direction of information systems, applications development, management and implementation of complex information technology projects implementing business and technical requirements into architectural blueprints, maintenance, computer operations and similar information technology functions including technical and support staff.
Within a state agency information technology division, these classes are accountable for the management and direction of information systems, applications development, systems maintenance, and similar information technology functions as well as technical and support staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Implementation of overall policies and goals of the applications support team.
- Support Agile and ITIL processes are adhered to by applications support team.
- Ensure that team has proper documentation and procedures to support each application and to appropriately fix and perform diagnostics and root cause analysis.
- Identify and execute on continuous improvement of the existing applications support and quality assurance process.
- Ensures compliance with best practices in accordance with internal and external audit governing bodies.
- Makes recommendations and ensures support processes are running effectively.
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of and provides consultation on ITIL systems for managing support SLAs; formulates short-term and long-term plans accordingly.
- Ensures the areas under the role are operating with a high degree of efficiency and consistency.
- Provides professional and prudent communications working in a team environment with a diverse group of associates.
- Works closely with IT project management team to deliver resources to projects in a timely and effective manner.
- Regularly reports against SLAs and objectives and ensures both IT senior management and the business are kept actively informed of Application Support metrics.
- Ensures collaborative working practices are implemented and encouraged by the team, across the team, and with business partners.
- Is responsible for tracking and removing obstacles or impediments to internal and external quality assurance team(s), application support team, and training or escalating as appropriate.
- Responsible for regularly reviewing knowledge base articles are being searched and updated with current and correct information.
- Responsible for maintaining relationships with service desk and application development team to ensure a positive relationship with mutual respect exists and is maintained.
- Maintains a strong ethical approach to vendors, customers, and staff which is aligned with the ethical principles of the company.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking current practices; participating in professional societies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
• Plan and Deploy for Business Results, which includes the ability to develop and implement business plans, IT plans, budget plans, and human resource plans in order to maximize budget allocations, technology, personnel and other resources to achieve agency and program goals.
• Lead Change, which includes innovation, the ability to be a creative problem solver and a strategic thinker, and the ability to recognize and develop opportunities to grow and develop information technology services in response to customers and a changing work environment.
• Focus on Results and Quality, including exercising and promoting accountability, and the ability to analyze surveys, financial and other data, and use strategic planning and performance measurement techniques to continuously improve performance and maintain competitiveness.
• Understand Customers and Markets, which includes the ability to establish customer satisfaction and loyalty, forecast and conduct market analyses, keep ahead of industry trends and incorporate 'best practices' into information technology operations.
• Lead People, including the ability to resolve conflict, communicate effectively, coach and train employees, recognize performance, and foster diversity and teamwork.
• Build Coalitions, including the ability to explain and advocate facts and ideas in a convincing manner, to negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally, to gain cooperation from others, and to identify the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization.
• Business Knowledge, including knowledge of the technical, professional, procedural and legal requirements of the specific information technology area.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Ten (10) years of experience in computer or network administration, architecture, operations, production control, systems development, information technology analysis and planning.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been in a supervisory capacity or one (1) year of the General Experience must have been in a managerial capacity.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted to be two (2) years at the level of an Information Technology Supervisor or one (1) year at the level of an Information Technology Manager 1 or Agency Information Technology Manager.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in computer science, management information systems or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's Degree.
2. A Master's Degree in computer science, management information systems or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Leading the delivery of services related to application implementation and support for large enterprise applications.
- Experience in improving, streamlining, and standardizing business application support processes.
- Managing or leading cross-stream / multi-functional projects with solid project management methodology.
- Release Management, Continuous Deployment.
- Performing Root Cause Analysis on system failures and building effective plans for mitigation and resolution.
- At least 2 years' experience in managing Business Application Implementation and Support.
- Superb interpersonal skills with proven clarity in both verbally and written.
- Solid Knowledge of web application hosting, application troubleshooting, and configuration on Microsoft Stack (Windows Server / IIS / .NET / Dynamics / SharePoint / Biztalk / SSRS / SSIS / SQL / TFS).
- Experience working with application integration strategies with Biztalk, Windows Service Bus, AD/ADFS, Exchange, and Office 365.
- Solid Experience in Support Helpdesk Management, Prioritization, Conflict Resolution, and Customer Service.
- Experience with application troubleshooting and configuration on Mainframe Platform (Mainframe Z/OS 390, DB2, COBOL, JCL).
- Experience leading Application Monitoring, Application performance tuning and application performance metrics.
- Solid grasp of the systems/software development life cycle management for modern application environments.
1. The Information Technology Project Manager is limited to the Department of Administrative Services, Bureau of Enterprise Systems and Technology and Centers of Information Technology Excellence as identified by the statewide Chief Information Officer. Managers functioning in this capacity oversee a portfolio of large, long range or multiple on-going projects. The complexity of the assignment is determined by project scope, risk exposure, span of control, diversity of skill-sets and capabilities as well as the size of project budget and number of team members. They oversee all phases of projects from conception to completion utilizing PMI standards.
2. Incumbents assigned to positions designated to perform Information Technology Project Management may be required to possess Certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP).
3. The Solutions Architect is limited to the Department of Administrative Services, Bureau of Enterprise Systems and Technology and Centers of Information Technology Excellence as identified by the statewide Chief Information Officer. Managers functioning in this capacity oversee all aspects of solution architect projects which includes the development of technology solutions and mapping business requirements to systems and technical requirements ensuring alignment with the enterprise architectural plan.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Back to top