Department of Education Chief of Educational Services
This Chief Strategic Planning Officer position within the Connecticut State Department of Education (SDE) will oversee planning and coordination of equitable access for all students to the array of educational opportunities available statewide. This work will include collaborating with districts, units of higher education and the Departments of Economic and Community Development and Labor to better align secondary and postsecondary programming and workforce needs.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Debra Paradis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current state employee, who has permanent state status and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Education, this class is accountable for administering programs and operations of statewide educational services to higher education institutions, local school systems and other state and federal agencies.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Administers staff and operations of an educational services function; develops, implements and evaluates educational service policies, goals and objectives to meet educational service needs; designs and develops educational service programs and activities; implements new procedures and procedural revisions pertaining to policies, personnel regulations, expenditures and administrative methods; determines appropriate staffing levels and directs management and coordination of staff; designs and implements performance review standards for educational service staff; prepares or assists in preparation of budget; maintains contacts with department, state, federal and local individuals regarding policy or program activities; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of relevant State and Federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of philosophy and methods of education with emphasis on educational administration and management; considerable knowledge of objectives and purposes of educational services and programs; considerable knowledge of public school administration; considerable oral and written communication skills; ability to plan, organize and direct work of large scale educational services; decision making ability; ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with departmental professionals and administrators, administrative staff and higher education institutions, local school system, other state and federal agencies, businesses, industry and labor; administrative ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
An earned advanced degree and twelve (12) years of professional experience in the field of Education or in a related area.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been in a managerial capacity in the oversight of the development or administration of an educational bureau, system, operation, school or service.
1. Managerial capacity is defined as full time managerial responsibility for a major program. Position will have supervisory responsibilities but the emphasis should be management activities defined as formulating program goals and objectives, developing and implementing program procedures, initiating program policies, developing and/or monitoring a budget.
2. For State employees, the Special Experience is interpreted at the level of Education Bureau Chief.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. A 092 certificate (Intermediate Administrator), or 093 certificate (Superintendent), or Sixth Year Diploma in Educational Leadership, or an Ed.D. (Doctorate in Educational Leadership) may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
2. An advanced degree and six (6) years of managerial experience in the oversight of the development or administration of an educational bureau, system, operation, school or service may substitute for the General Experience and the Special Experience.
Three (3) years of experience collaborating with districts, units of higher education and the Departments of Economic and Community Development and Labor to align secondary and post-secondary programming and workforce development needs.
Three (3) years of experience facilitating efforts between secondary schools and units of higher education, including post-secondary career schools with regard to student preparedness for post-secondary academic work.
Considerable knowledge of state and federal financial aid options to increase access to post-secondary opportunities for our high needs student populations.
1. May be required to possess an appropriate certificate issued by the State Board of Education.
2. The Superintendent of the Connecticut Technical High School System must possess proper certification pursuant to Section 10-157 of the Connecticut General Statutes.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Back to top