VP of Design & Research
- New York, NY
Stash is pioneering the future of personal finance with the first financial subscription that helps regular people create better lives. Ever felt that wealth building was not accessible? Or known that access to finance was the gateway to a better life and wondered why that gateway was not open for everyone? We do.. A lot… This is why we created Stock-Back, an industry first feature to let Main Street learn about Wall Street from their spend without having to change their lives. From budgeting to saving for retirement, Stash unites banking, investing, and advice all in one app that has helped over 4.5M people aspire to financial goals and make progress towards financial freedom. The average Stasher has 6x more savings than the average American to take them through tough times. But we do not want to stop there when more than 100M Americans need it!
Reporting directly to our CPO, the VP of Design & Research will be responsible for articulating the voice and needs of the Stash customer to our development process with a focus on integrating research, consumer centric design principles, reductive design, a strong visual aesthetic and the aspirational story telling needed to making financial success real. Proven success across all levels of design and research is required as well as credibility to influence among peers in Engineering, Marketing, Customer Experience as well as with company Executives & Founders.
What you’ll do:
- Guide the design and research teams in generative, evaluative and iterative stages of product development within each of our company’s operating units as well as PRPL, the Stash design language system.
- Develop the principles of Stash product design system and work with CPO to articulate the product vision through these principles. You will be the key influencer with other product leaders.
- Work with the CMO and VP of Brand & Creative to ensure that the brand’s story telling is creative and delightful in the product
- Influence the company’s strategic direction through research, defining and articulating new opportunities, and working in close concert with executive leadership
- Work with leaders in operations (CX, Trading & Account Service) to ensure Service Design is taken into account for experience beyond the visual UX
- Be responsible for the coaching and leadership development of the Stash design & research organization – inspiring and motivating a world-class team of talented folks that's won the Webby design awards twice!
- Be a true advocate for design thinking at the highest level of the organization and demonstrate its ability to deliver business value across Investing, Banking & Brokerage operations
- Be the advocate and voice of the customer in all decisions with the product, engineering, and design teams
What we’re looking for:
- At least 10 years of Consumer Application Design & UX experience with a strong well known consumer brand (experience with Service Design is a strong plus)
- At least five years building and leading a highly effective design organization (10+ people inclusive of design directors with teams) at a tech heavy company which has shown excellence in consumer product design
- Track record of implementing modern, effective design processes and systems with evidence of reductive design techniques
- Awareness of best-in-class tools for design and prototyping (Figma is a plus)
- Extensive use of prototyping methodologies and practices, user research methodologies and A/B test planning/execution to steer design thinking
- Excellent communication and data visualization skills. (You can bring internal stakeholders on your design journey and support your decisions with focus and brevity.)
- Evidence of successful collaboration with engineering and product teams
- Experience building aligned, efficient, results-oriented design and research teams
- High engagement and passion are a must!
We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products out there. Our success is directly related to the employees that we hire, grow and retain and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Perks:
- Equity in Stash
- Flexible Vacation
- Flexible Remote
- Family-Friendly Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Learning & Development & Ergonomic Work Space Stipends
- Commuter Benefits and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee referral bonuses
- Team outings that do not involve trust falls...
Awards & Recognition:
- Forbes Fintech 50 (2019 & 2020)
- Best Digital Bank, Finovate Awards (2020)
- Tearsheet Challenge Awards, Best Banking Card Product - Stock-Back® Card, 2020
- LendIt Fintech Innovator of the Year (2019 & 2020)
- Built in NYC's Best Places to work (2019)
- MarCom Awards Double Gold & Platinum Winner (2018)
- Webby Award Winner for Best Mobile Sites & Apps in the Financial Services and Banking category (2017)
- W3 Awards Winner for Best User Experience (2017)
**No recruiters, please.
Back to top