Bilingual - Senior Designer, Furniture Application Specialist
Description Responsible for activities related to design, space planning, and specifications of contract furniture, systems products, and other interior design furnishings. Coordinates and implements detailed space plans to address customer space requirements within allotted time and budget constraints. Collaborates frequently with Furniture Management, Sales Reps and customers to interpret and produce workplace and specification solutions. Assists in training new associates and provides coaching and guidance to Design peers and Furniture Sales Reps and Managers. Responsible for Customer presentations and promoting the sale of chargeable design services. Assumes more complex projects requiring excellent written and verbal presentation skills. Must demonstrate ability to manage multiple priorities. Client-facing on a regular basis.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages complex tenders including detailed review of tender documents, furniture specifications, application and product strategy.
- Prepared to contribute to discussions in the product strategy and value engineering of the furniture solution.
- Identifies deviations from furniture specification clearly and concisely.
- Contributes to qualifying questions pertaining to furniture product specifications.
- Demonstrates ability to manage multiple project priorities with high volume production and a high degree of accuracy.
- Aptitude for professional client facing interactions and actively participates in Customer Presentations.
- Dedicated design resource assigned to high profile and national/strategic accounts.
- Tracks, records and communicates design hours accrued for chargeable design projects.
- Assists in calculating and proposing chargeable design services for job costing.
- Consults with Sales Team in the layout, design and space planning of furniture specifications for client offices.
- Travel to client's location to confirm critical site dimensions and/or finishes and other project details when applicable.
- Performs programming, space planning, furniture selection, layout, product pricing, design and selection of fabrics and finishes, includes as-built drawings, space plans and final installation drawings for specification and installation of furniture.
- Provides professional customer interface by regularly attending client planning meetings to determine furniture needs and develops solutions to meet these needs.
- Presents solutions to Sales Team and the Customer as required.
- Offers technical design and creative consultation to customers by answering routine and highly specialized questions regarding furniture systems.
- Coordinates, develops, and reviews proposed project designs, power/data plans with reference to architectural construction/electrical plans.
- Prepares presentation material including color finish boards.
- Reviews job site to ensure critical site dimensions and power/data locations suit proposed furniture plans.
- Validates plans against construction, electrical engineering and Architect & Design (A&D) drawing sets and communicates any discrepancies.
- Provides on-site job inspections comparing construction drawings to final build-out as required.
- Develops project specifications, audits specifications against plans, assures specifications are ready for order entry and manages changes and revisions.
- Provides evidence of self-checks for specifications and performs audits of peer's to ensure accuracy pertaining to quantity, application and finishes.
- Verifies the company design standards have been met and national processes followed.
- Works with installers to ensure installation meets customer specifications.
- Provide design support and assistance for on-boarding new team members.
- Provide coaching and training for the on-going development of design peers and furniture sales reps.
- Participates in the development of design expertise as a subject matter expert.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skillsComputer literate (word processing, spreadsheets, project applications)
- Working knowledge of furniture design and specification software
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Proven record of accuracy with regards to the specification of large/complex furniture projects
- Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
Qualifications RECOMMENDED QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of six (6) years furniture industry experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience required.
- Skilled in AutoCad, 20/20 Cap and Worksheet and other technical design programs.
- Extensive knowledge of furniture systems product and application.
- Skilled in design oversight and review relative to applicable building codes / prevailing laws.
- Bachelor's degree in Interior Design or other related degree program is a strong asset.
Staples is an equal opportunity employer and an accommodation will be provided during the hiring process if requested.
Back to top