Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science. Your Opportunity We are seeking an exceptionally talented, and enthusiastic individual, with a keen interest in natural sciences to join our team as a Wetland Scientist, in our Cottage Grove, WI office. The ideal candidate must have experience in wetland delineation and familiarity with Wisconsin wetland regulations.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Delineating and characterizing wetlands and other water resources.
- Conducting botanical surveys, natural community mapping, and ecological impact assessments.
- Assisting with the coordination and management of environmental permitting, assessment, and/or compliance work related to various federal and state agency requirements as they pertain to a variety of project types including renewable energy, energy transmission and generation facilities, transportation, and private development projects.
- Other technical duties may include ecological restoration planning and assessment.
- Assisting with the preparation, review, and editing of technical documents, such as environmental assessments, environmental impact statements, and other and technical reports.
- Participating in multi-disciplinary environmental assessments; recording, entering, organizing, managing, and analyzing data.
- Discussing project needs with clients and then prepare proposal for client approval.
- Writing technical reports for client and regulatory agency review.
- Attending client and regulatory agency meetings and providing recommendations and input.
- Willingness to travel extensively for up to two weeks at a time and the ability to work in the field for long hours in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be comfortable with computers and Trimble GPS units.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug and alcohol screen is required.
Education and Experience
- Master of Science Degree (preferred) in natural resources, botany, soils, or related biological field; or a Bachelor of Science Degree.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience with plant, soil, and wetland identification and characterization in the region.
- Preference will be given to those that have been assured through the WDNR Wetland Delineator Assurance Program or have significant experience delineating wetlands according to US Army Corps of Engineers Manual and the corresponding Regional Supplements.
- Experience meeting with clients and preparing proposals.
- Ability to validate and accurately analyze information and make sound decisions that have considerable business impact.
- Ability to interface effectively and collaborate with clients, peers, management, and vendors to successfully meet shifting needs.
- Ability to integrate work across relevant areas, develop the business and services to enhance customer satisfaction and productivity, manage risks and safety appropriately, manage information, and provide exceptional service to internal and external customers.
- Effectiveness in resource planning, results delivery, and staying current with relevant technology and innovation.
- Strong ethics and leadership qualities, along with the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- Customer focused with the ability to understand and appropriately respond to clients' business needs.
- Motivate self, and others to overcome obstacles and achieve goals.
- Ability to work well under pressure, and to prioritize and balance sometimes heavy workloads to achieve goals while keeping up with a highly mobile and changing environment.
- Work well with others and keep other team members aware of project and client needs.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top