Wetland Scientist - ( 2000026T )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Opportunity Our Environmental Services group is dedicated to managing environmental issues professionally and proactively. Our multidisciplinary team includes a diverse array of scientific, engineering, and regulatory specialists who provide design and permitting solutions for a broad suite of clients, including public, private, and non-governmental entities.
We are seeking a Certified Soil Scientist with 5 years of experience to provide technical expertise for a variety of public and private projects across various in-house disciplines including environmental services, transportation, power, and water throughout New England. The successful candidate will have demonstrated expertise in:
Your Key Responsibilities
- Conducting resource area delineations based on soil science in Connecticut);
- Conducting inland and coastal resource area delineations in Massachusetts;
- Serve as the point of contact/client relations lead for clients;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently in the field and office;
- Managing information development, threatened and endangered species habitat characterizations, land use mapping and vegetation cover classification, GPS data collection, consultations, permitting, and report preparations for the US Army Corps of Engineers, and MassDEP Division of Wetlands and Waterways, Bureau of Water Resources;
- Working knowledge of local, state (MA and/or CT) and federal environmental permitting in Massachusetts and Connecticut, including experience interpreting and applying the MassDEP Wetlands Protection Act, MA Environmental Policy Act, CT Environmental Policy Act, Sections 401 and 404 of the Clean Water Act (and associated Massachusetts and Connecticut Water Quality Certification requirements), CT DEEP permits, and EPA NPDES permitting; and
- Partnering with integrated environmental services teams to deliver successful projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Certified Professional Soil Scientist with direct (self-performing) experience delineating inland and resource areas.
- Ability to articulate field data information into narrative reports and figures/plans in a clear, concise format.
- Ability to prepare wetland related permit applications.
- Ability to prepare wetland data forms and functions and value reports in support of permit applications.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply regulatory associations, including the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), USACE, CT DEEP, and MassDEP.
- Knowledge of documents related to requests for proposals.
- Ability to prepare cost estimates related to wetland delineations and permitting;
- Knowledge of computer applications and functions, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Adobe Acrobat;
- Ability to meet project deadlines;
- Excellence in verbally and written communication, including advanced technical writing abilities; and
- Ability to maintain and establish effective working relationships with
- Travel time of 50% includes day trip fieldwork.
Education and Experience Bachelor's degree (masters preferred);
Minimum of 5 years of experience of independent wetland delineations and regulatory practice
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : United States-Massachusetts-Northampton
Other Locations : United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Job : Environmental Scientist
Organization : BC-1956 Environmental Services-US Northeast
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 2, 2021, 12:31:09 PM
Req ID: 2000026T
Vaccine Policy: Beginning December 8, 2021, Stantec requires North America employees in many positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 except those for whom a reasonable accommodation has been granted because a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, as required by law.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans