Welding Inspector - Independent Contractor
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there's no end to the scope and significance of your work - and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we're problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you'll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that's critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing - and we're helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that's working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
The focus of the Welding Inspector's role is to monitor the various aspects of the field welding program and ensure that the contractor is providing a high quality job. A Welding Inspector will be assigned to each crew carrying out the various stages of the welding operation; e.g. front end, back end, repairs, tie-ins, and fabrication. Each Welding Inspector will be familiarized with the process of measuring and documenting welding parameters for the specific area he/she may be inspecting over.
We are looking to fill this position for opportunities in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and Ontario.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Check wind breaks and shelters for effectiveness.
- Check availability and application of correct welding procedures.
- Make random checks on welding procedure parameter; i.e. preheat, cool down procedures, travel speed, welding consumables, equipment output and records the result within your daily reports.
- Check that 'induced voltage' mitigation measures are employed.
- Ensure that proper grounding techniques are observed.
- Ensure that cooling control is employed in accordance with welding procedures.
- Check that weld identification is occurring properly in accordance with the project approved Weld Numbering Procedure.
- Check with NDE crews as to weld quality.
- Monitor visual inspections on finished welds.
- Undertake alignment sheet checks to ensure appropriate wall thicknesses are in place.
- Liaise with NDE inspection crews as to availability of completed welds.
- Check pipe identification is occurring properly.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- API 1169 Pipeline Construction Inspector Certification required for all pipeline positions, this is not a requirement when working on pumping stations or terminals.
- Excellent organizational, planning and implementing skills.
- Strong presentation, written, and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly convey information to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Advanced skills in use of Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
Education and Experience
5 to 7 years industrial and/or pipeline construction experience and CSA W178.2 Welding Inspector Certification to Level 2 or 3, a current Visual Acuity Record / Eye Exam, and one of the 3 below:
- Journeyman Welder Certification
- Journeyman Steamfitter/Pipefitter Certification
- Welding Engineering Technologist Diploma
Position will work in office and field setting. Visits construction sites and works in outside weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Construction Management/Coordination
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations: Canada-Saskatchewan, Canada-Ontario, Canada-Alberta, Canada-British Columbia
Employee Status: Contract
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900006D
Back to top