Water Resources Engineer
Your Opportunity: 2,500 Environmental Services staff. 20 technical specialties. 900 professional associations. An international team with local expertise. You could say we know a little something about the environment. Our passion for it drives our work. Grounded by safety, quality, and ethics, we come up with solutions that perfectly fit the site. We know what it takes to balance competing project interests with creativity and efficiency. We know what to look for. And, we know how to get the job done-the right way. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Your Duties: Join our team in either our Williamsburg or Richmond, VA office as we create new ways to tap into water's vast potential. Stantec has an immediate need for a Water Resources Engineer in our Environmental Services group.
- Support local clients and pursuits in Virginia.
- Conduct studies and assessments on dams and lakes, including Dam Break Inundation Zone (DBIZ) modeling, dam safety support, and dam rehabilitation design.
- Lead stormwater master planning at a basin or community scale.
- Lead the design and analysis of stormwater facilities.
- Lead stream restoration stability calculations and engineering support.
- Lead field support for water quality studies, watershed walkovers, stream assessments, and other projects.
- Provide stormwater regulatory compliance and permit support
- Conduct peer and quality reviews on all applicable projects.
- Assist in the Development of TMDL Action Plans.
- Assist in supporting MS4 clients and pursuits.
- Perform floodplain evaluations, including modeling and permit support.
- Provide superior client management.
- Plan and manage tasks.
- Support other Business Centers with water resources/drainage tasks.
- Assist in business development and project/task pursuits for municipal water resources clients.
- Assist in developing technical proposals.
- Participate in industry and stakeholder groups for water resources issues.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned by management.
Your Capabilities and Credentials: EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor of Science (minimum) in Civil, Water Resources, Environmental Engineering or other closely related degree required. Masters preferred.
- Professional Licensure (P.E.) required.
- Course work in hydraulics, hydrology, water quality and stormwater management, and related subjects preferred.
- SWM and ESC certification(s) through the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is desirable.
- 5-10 years prior experience in a similar role required.
- Experience with dam safety, dam break inundation zone (DBIZ) modeling, and dam rehabilitation design preferred.
- Knowledge of intermediate to advanced civil and environmental engineering techniques.
- Knowledge of stormwater planning and engineering.
- Knowledge of hydraulics and hydrology analysis and modeling.
- Knowledge of water quality assessments and treatment.
- Knowledge of LID practices and design.
- Knowledge of TMDL development, implementation planning and action plan development.
- Knowledge of stormwater regulatory requirements at federal, state and local levels.
- Knowledge of MS4 permit requirements.
- Knowledge of municipal procurement and contract standards.
- Must have a high attention to detail.
- Skill in hydrology and hydraulics software (e.g. HEC-RAS, SWMM, and Pond Pack) and Microsoft Office software.
- Skill in schematic design and design development for stream restoration and stormwater BMP projects.
- Skill in final design and construction plan preparation for stream restoration and stormwater BMP projects.
- Skill in preparation of technical specifications and bid documents.
- Skill in technical writing and verbal communication.
- Skill in watershed planning.
- Skill in floodplain studies.
- Ability to walk 2-4 miles per day in rough terrain and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must have the ability to work in the field for long hours in all weather conditions.
- Ability to perform construction observation and coordinate with Contractors.
- Ability to work remotely in a construction oversight role within commuting distance for an extended amount of time.
- Ability to work in a highly automated design office environment.
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner, both in writing and in person, with clients, employees and visitors.
- Ability to prepare reports and conduct studies.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate with clients and engineers.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Must have a good driving record and valid driver's license.
- Prior to employment with Stantec, the candidate will be required to successfully pass drug/alcohol screening.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Charuti oversees the construction and design of transmission line projects that connect new and existing hydropower plants and plans the logistics for rehabilitation of existing projects.
Back to top