Ventilation Engineering Consultant
- Chandler, AZ
At our core, we're a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing engineering and designs as individual as the people and projects we touch. From approval and permitting to design and construction management services, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything we create. Join us as we assist mining companies in getting mined materials to communities around the globe.
We are seeking qualified candidates for a Ventilation Engineering Consultant for our Chandler, Arizona and/or Denver Colorado offices. The primary focus of this position is to serve US and International-based natural resources clients (primarily mining) with the design of underground and surface mining facilities (e.g. ventilation design, ventilation planning, surveys refrigeration solutions, etc.) This position will require a dynamic individual who can interface with clients, develop and lead site investigations, develop detailed designs, execute and review calculations, and prepare expertly written reports. This position interacts throughout the organization internally and externally with clients and members of business and professional organizations. Travel will be required, and most projects require working at remote sites.
Your Key Responsibilities
The Ventilation Consultant must have the following core competencies for this position:
- Excellent communication skills: verbal, business writing, electronic communications and presentations.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and work well with others to achieve group results.
- Ability to work on several projects or tasks during any given day on a consistent basis.
- Must be able to manage time, be organized, and set priorities.
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to make timely decisions.
The key responsibilities for this position include:
- Follow safe work practices and adhering to company and client guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner. MSHA and/or OSHA training will be required.
- Develop and/or provide senior review underground ventilation designs, layouts, trade-offs, execution plans and cost estimates.
- Develop and/or provide senior review life of mine ventilation models.
- Develop and/or provide senior review simulations for different mining scenarios (e.g. blasting, airflow, contaminants)
- Prepare technical memoranda and detailed reports pertaining to designs, field investigations, studies and construction activities.
- Develop design and/or provide senior review for drawings and construction specifications related to mining and ventilation disciplines.
- Develop, oversee, and interpret ventilation and refrigeration investigations; primarily focused on mining projects.
- Experience with dynamic system modeling software (VentSim).
- Develop preliminary budgets, determining project scope, establishing schedules, processing appropriate paperwork, and interact with clients.
- Prepare proposals and assist in preparing and giving presentations.
- Perform multiple projects within scope/budget/schedule expectations and ensuring quality standards on project deliverables.
- Focus on team project delivery, support project managers to effectively manage projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Exceptional technical writing skills, organizational skills, technical leadership abilities, oral communication skills, and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with modeling software Ventsim for ventilation and heat simulations.
- Proficiency with Computational Fluid Dynamic simulation software (CFD) is a plus.
- Proficiency with 3D modeling and design software such as Map Tek Vulcan and Deswik is a plus.
- Can demonstrate past experience with mine ventilation designs, ventilation 3D models, and ventilation management plans.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions in the office and in the field at remote sites.
- Ability to lead and mentor younger professionals.
- Existing professional registration (P.E.) or ability to obtain within is a plus.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a B.S. in Mining or Mechanical Engineering with preference given to advanced degrees.
- Twenty or more years of experience working on mining engineering projects, focusing on design, site investigation, reporting and project management.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Arizona-Chandler
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 20000179
Back to top