Vegetation Management Technician
- Villa Park, IL
2,500 Environmental Services staff. 20 technical specialties. 900 professional associations. An international team with local expertise. You could say we know a little something about the environment. Our passion for it drives our work. Grounded by safety, quality, and ethics, we come up with solutions that perfectly fit the site. We know what it takes to balance competing project interests with creativity and efficiency. We know what to look for. And, we know how to get the job done-the right way. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
This position is full-time Vegetation Management Technician working with Stantec's team in Naperville, Illinois office. We are looking for energetic and organized individuals to assist with growing our vegetation management practice in order to meet demands from our growing client base and geographic reach. Stantec is willing to train the appropriate job applicant.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Carrying out tasks related to vegetation management along utility rights-of-way. Primary duties include applying various herbicides from backpack and ATV / UTV mounted sprayers.
- Trailering and towing equipment. This includes daily operation of a small dump truck and trailer that require a commercial drivers license (Illinois Class A or B).
- Assessment of vegetation within rights-of-way and determination of the safest and most appropriate herbicides and methods of for control of incompatible vegetation.
- Calculation of appropriate formulations of herbicides and additives and proper mixing.
- Supervise tasks and crew members related to vegetation management and maintain safety as a top priority in all of your work. This includes participation in safe work planning, on-site hazard assessment, and communication.
- Assist project managers with planning, coordination and completion of vegetation management throughout northern Illinois.
- Prescribed burning, brush/tree removal. Equipment operations may include chainsaws, backpack herbicide sprayers, ATV / UTV, tractor and/or skidsteer with various attachments.
- Assist with coordination of a wide variety of administrative tasks including staffing, equipment maintenance, safety planning and auditing, and quality control.
- Assist project managers with development of site-appropriate management approaches, work plans, and cost estimating.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Valid commercial drivers license, Illinois Class A or B
- Ability to walk 2-4 miles per day in rough terrain and lift up to 50 lbs
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to work well under pressure and to prioritize and balance heavy workloads to achieve goals while keeping up with a highly mobile and changing environment
- Prioritize safety above all, commit to a high standard safety culture and safe work environment, abide by all safety procedures, trainings and protocols; identify hazards prior to working and recognize new hazards when they arise, take necessary steps to eliminate or reduce risks
- Limited in-state overnight travel (up to 5% of typical work hours)
- Two or more years of experience supervising and training staff
- Basic familiarity with Midwestern flora and plant communities, with emphasis on common woody and invasive plant species
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to effectively apply management techniques, tools, and timing for effective control of incompatible vegetation on utility rights-of-way in the upper Midwest
- S130 & S190 NWCG fire behavior training, or ability to obtain within three months
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate Degree in an environmental discipline, an asset
- One to three years of small equipment operation and maintenance
- One to three years of pesticide application experience
- Valid Illinois Pesticide Operators license, or ability to obtain within one month
A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Technician/Technologist
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Lombard
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 200000ZO
Back to top