Vegetation Management Crew Leader
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
This is full-time Vegetation Management Crew Leader working with our Ecosystem Restoration group out of Stantec's Naperville, Illinois office. We are looking for energetic and organized individuals to assist with growing our vegetation management practice in order to meet demands from our growing client base and geographic reach. Stantec is willing to train the appropriate job applicant.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Carrying out tasks related to vegetation management along right-of-way and other natural areas. Primary duties include applying various herbicides from backpack, ATV / UTV, and tractor-mounted sprayers.
- Mowing, installation of native seeds and plants, prescribed burning, brush/tree removal, and erosion control. Equipment operations may include chainsaws, backpack herbicide sprayers, ATV / UTV, tractor and/or skidsteer with various attachments.
- Assist project managers with planning, coordination and completion of vegetation management throughout northern Illinois.
- Supervise tasks and project-specific crews related to vegetation management.
- Supervise crew members to successfully complete quality projects.
- Trailering and towing equipment.
- Assist with coordination of a wide variety of administrative tasks including staffing, equipment operation and maintenance, safety planning and auditing, and quality control.
- Assist project managers with development of site-appropriate management approaches, work plans, and cost estimating.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Valid IL Pesticide Operators license, or ability to obtain within one month
- Ability to walk 2-4 miles per day in rough terrain and lift up to 50 lbs
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Basic familiarity with Midwestern flora and plant communities, with emphasis on common woody and invasive plant species.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to prioritize and balance heavy workloads to achieve goals while keeping up with a highly mobile and changing environment.
- Prioritize safety above all, commit to a high standard safety culture and safe work environment, abide by all safety procedures, trainings and protocols; identify hazards prior to working and recognize new hazards when they arise, take necessary steps to eliminate or reduce risks.
- S130 & S190 NWCG fire behavior training, or ability to obtain within three months.
- Occasional in-state travel.
Education and Experience
Undergraduate Degree in an environmental discipline
One to three years of small equipment operation and maintenance
One to three years of pesticide application experience
Two or more years of experience supervising and training staff
Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to effectively apply management techniques, tools, and timing for effective control of incompatible vegetation on utility right-of-ways in the upper Midwest.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Technician/Technologist
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Lombard
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Entry Level
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900002W
Back to top