Tunneling Leader - South Central Region (Texas)
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Stantec is seeking a leader to help grow our expanding tunneling practice and make an impact on this emerging market in Texas. This is an exciting position to take the next step in a career to build a regional tunneling team as part of our global tunnel and trenchless practice and help the Texas community fully utilize tunneling as an engineered solution. The ideal candidate is ready for an opportunity to influence the Texas market in tunneling innovation and engineering excellence.
This opportunity offers a collegial environment with a team of practitioners that is now No. 3 in the world per the latest Trenchless Technology Magazine ranking. This position offers notable flexibility in allowing home and office work arrangements along with the ability to focus on tunneling and trenchless projects in water including waterlines, sanitary sewer lines, and storm sewer lines, and collaboration with other business units at Stantec that work on a wide variety of underground projects. Stantec empowers its employees for success and encourages innovation, provides unlimited challenge, and recognizes and rewards success.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Grow and lead the Stantec team for tunneling work in Texas
- Maintain an external profile as a leader in the industry and contribute to the Texas tunneling knowledge community
- Client coordination and effective relationship building with clients
- Lead project management and design management of tunnel and trenchless construction projects
- Collaborate with Stantec's global tunneling practice to lead local delivery
- Develop and implement business development strategy and help prepare and lead proposal efforts
- Anticipated balance of about 50% business development and 50% engineering design
- Willingness to present papers and presentations at various tunneling and trenchless industry venues
- Present tunneling and trenchless topics in a compelling way to Clients and internal and external stakeholders
- Mentor and coach staff
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Effective communicator
- Team player with collaboration skills and ability to work on and lead teams
- Strong budgeting, proposal writing, presentation and interview skills
- Ability to produce high quality deliverables in a timely manner
- Technical expert in many relevant areas of tunnel design and understanding of various tunnel and underground construction design and construction methods, with expertise in tunneling in soft ground
- Familiarity with alternative project delivery methods
- Strong geotechnical knowledge. Ability to characterize geotechnical conditions, prepare GDR's and GBR's and advise on selection of tunneling equipment and trenchless technologies
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of design standard practices and construction administration and management processes
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of the project
- Efficient project management/technical leadership of assigned tasks on multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness
- Ability to manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- Leads, participates and collaborates in project team setting and engages in creative and critical thought
- Availability to travel and assist with projects and pursuits in various markets throughout the Company
Education and Experience
Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent in Civil or Geological Engineering
Master of Science degree or equivalent is preferred
Valid PE license in the USA. Valid Texas PE license or ability to get one within 6 months of hire
Minimum of 15 years of experience in tunnel engineering and construction projects
Experience in Texas
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Other Locations: United States-Texas-San Antonio, United States-Texas-Dallas, United States-Texas-Austin
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 190001B3
Back to top