Tunnel Practice Lead
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake-whether at the local, regional, or watershed level- thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities' unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We're a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that's critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Stantec is seeking a senior leader to help manage our blossoming global tunneling and trenchless practice along with three other practice managers. The practice is called "TNT" and this role will also involve working directly with the TNTGlobal Practice Leader and Deputy Practice Leader. This is an exciting position that offers a collegial environment with a team of practitioners that is now No. 3 in the world in the Trenchless Magazine ranking.
Stantec provides a collaborative environment that avoids the common barriers limiting assignments to a specific business line. This position offers unprecedented flexibility in allowing home and office work arrangements along with the ability to focus on tunneling in water, transportation, and mining. Stantec empowers its employees for success and encourages innovation, provides unlimited challenge, and rewards success more than our competitors.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Working on multiple projects/tasks simultaneously involving both internal and external coordination
- Project management and design management of primarily large diameter tunneling projects
- Leading a team of design staff from various locations across the company
- Client coordination and effective relationship building with clients
- Willingness to frequent the local office periodically and work from home as needed
- Willingness to travel up to twice a month to various project locations
- Willingness to present papers and presentations at various tunneling industry venues
- Preparation of proposals, budgets, and marketing materials
- Anticipated balance of about 50% business development and 50% engineering design
- Characterization of geotechnical conditions, preparation of GDR's and GBR's and selection of tunneling equipment
- Preparation of underground related specifications
- Familiarity with alternative project delivery methods
- Mentoring and coaching of less experienced staff
- Effective time management skills and effective in work/life balance as Stantec is a strong proponent of this concept
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Efficient project management/technical leadership of assigned tasks on multiple concurrent projects.
- Understand client expectations, budgeting, proposal writing, and producing high quality deliverables.
- Technical expert in many relevant areas of design and understanding of various design and construction methods.
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of design and construction codes.
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of civil systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of the project.
- Check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manages time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Leads, participates and collaborates in project team setting and engages in creative and critical thought.
- Advanced understanding of civil engineering concepts and ability to communicate ideas to others.
- Strong presentation and interview skills.
- Effective communicator and able to work on and lead teams.
- Efficient project management of multiple concurrent projects.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering. Masters preferred.
Licensed Professional Engineer.
Minimum of 18 years of experience in planning, designing, and constructing tunnels for water and transportation
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 180001VK
Back to top