Transportation Project Engineer
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
The role of a Professional Civil Engineer is to work independently on smaller projects, and as a team member on larger projects under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. The Civil Engineer should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project, as well as coordinate well with team members and clients.
The Professional Engineer will provide immediate supervision and guidance to a group of employees by assigning tasks and checking work at frequent intervals for accuracy and completeness. The Professional Engineer will also manage projects, overseeing design and production as well as developing and maintaining project schedules and communicating with clients.
The Professional Engineer will perform a variety of tasks which may include designing and detailing construction plans for roadways and approaches to railroad crossings, drainage systems for roadway and development projects, irrigation projects, pipelines, tunnels, and other projects. They may also participate in planning activities for alternatives and line and grade studies, and during processes to obtain Environmental Clearances or Agency permits.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare roadway/drainage designs and construction plans and specifications
- Prepare reports as required by project scope with supporting exhibits and calculations.
- Compile calculations, determining horizontal alignments and vertical profiles
- Utilize software to prepare 3D models
- Perform other various tasks involved in preliminary engineering and creation of final design plans for highway projects.
- May be responsible for the signing and sealing of own projects or the work of others under your direct supervision.
- Manage the design, plan production and construction of projects.
- Involvement in the permitting process of projects, which may require meeting with clients, contractors, reviewing agency personnel.
- Coordinate with the regulatory review to seek final approval.
- Perform other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Quality review of projects or portions of projects relevant to your discipline, applying and documenting QA/QC procedures
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Comprehensive understanding of all phases of project document production.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Possess excellent time-management skills; Thorough understanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting and efficient use of time and resources.
- Thorough understanding of codes, legal and design requirements in relevant jurisdictions.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
- Proficient in relevant design software such as Microstation and InRoads and/or other 3D Corridor Modeling platforms. Willingness to learn and apply new software, such as OpenRoads.
- Roadway geometric design and/or roadway drainage experience
- Construction cost estimating
- Knowledge of work with LADOTD preferred
- Certificates of completion of Work Zone Training (Traffic Control Technician and Traffic Control Supervisor) and NEPA Transportation Decision Making (NHI Course 142005) preferred
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or related field & Licensed Professional Engineer (Louisiana licensure preferred or ability to obtain within 6 months). Minimum of 6 to 10 years of experience.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Louisiana-Baton Rouge
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Req ID: 190002ID
Back to top