Join Stantec's growing Urban Places Mobility Group to help us create the bicycle, walking, transit, and emerging mobility networks that serve the most livable, prosperous, sustainable, resilient, and equitable urban and urbanizing places in North America. We are an interdisciplinary, cross-continental team of leading transportation planners building a boutique practice with the full complement of resources of a global consulting firm.
We work closely with our architecture, planning, transit, engineering, environmental, landscape architecture, real estate development, smart city, transportation and other colleagues across Stantec to help a diverse range of public and private clients realize the full range of benefits that flow from dense, walkable downtowns, neighborhoods, and corridors. Driven by data, innovation, and grounded in real world applications, our plans inspire people. Our Mobility Group team helps define and create the places, networks and infrastructure that connect people to prosperity, and to each other.
Stantec is seeking a creative, capable and motivated junior transportation planner to support its Urban Places Mobility Group in Boston with the potential to consider a position in Atlanta. The preferred candidate will support the group's growing local and national practice and work directly with industry-leading multimodal transportation planners across North America. Candidates must be willing to travel and ideally have a valid driver's license. The ideal candidate will possess excellent writing, numerical and critical thinking skills, have experience with GIS and the Adobe Suite, and some graphic design experience would be a plus. Above all, the successful candidate will be highly self-motivated and curious, have a friendly, outgoing demeanor, and be able to multitask in a fast-moving environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
The role of the Transportation Planner will be to work independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team on transportation projects of various sizes and complexity. The candidate should have a working understanding of multimodal transportation processes, analysis and methodology. The successful candidate should have a range of skills as work will regularly include the following tasks in support of the range of projects described above:
- Conducting research and providing summaries
- Data collection in the field
- A working knowledge of American Fact Finder as well as other publicly available demographic, transit, bicycle, and transportation databases
- Working with large data sets using spreadsheet analysis (Excel, R, etc.)
- GIS analysis and mapping/cartography
- Preparation of slides and presentation materials
- Development of graphics using Adobe Illustrator
- Attending client and public meetings
- Preparation of marketing materials
- Report writing and production
- Administrative and organizational work
- Excellent skills in writing, data analysis, and problem solving
- Strong communications skills--verbal, written, and especially graphic
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Additional experience with graphics (Illustrator, InDesign, SketchUp), modeling (Synchro, TransCAD), or database analysis will be considered favorably
- Experience with the production of planning reports and documents and a thorough knowledge and familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with GIS map production and data management
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated responsibility, maturity and commitment to a team driven environment.
- The ability to be located in Boston
- Willingness to travel as needed
- A graduate degree in Transportation, Urban Design, Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or a related field and/or one to four years of relevant experience.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top