Join Stantec's growing Urban Places Mobility Group to help us create the bicycle, walking, transit, and emerging mobility networks that serve the most livable, prosperous, sustainable, resilient, and equitable urban and urbanizing places in North America. We are an interdisciplinary, cross-continental team of leading transportation planners building a boutique practice with the full complement of resources of a global consulting firm.
Housed within Stantec's "Urban Places" initiative, we work closely with our architecture, planning, transit, engineering, environmental, landscape architecture, real estate development, smart city, transportation and other colleagues across the firm. Our work helps a diverse range of public and private clients realize the full range of benefits that flow from dense, walkable downtowns, neighborhoods, and corridors. Driven by data, innovation, and grounded in real world applications, our plans inspire people. Our Mobility Group team helps define and create the places, networks and infrastructure that connect people to prosperity, and to each other. The opportunities within a large company like Stantec are boundless, and we are excited to continue growing our Mobility Group with the right candidate.
Stantec is seeking an experienced, creative, and motivated transportation planner, task leader, and project manager to support its Urban Places Mobility Group. The preferred candidate will support the group's growing local and national practice and work directly with industry-leading multimodal transportation planners across North America. Candidates must be willing to travel and ideally have a valid driver's license. Ideally the position would be based in Boston, but consideration to other locations will be given.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in the development of client-facing materials, facilitating meetings, and internal resource management. Technical experience with GIS, the Adobe Suite, and/or other relevant software (traffic modeling and/or visualization etc.) would be a plus. Above all, the successful candidate will be highly self-motivated and curious, have a friendly, outgoing demeanor, and be able to multitask in a fast-moving environment
Your Key Responsibilities
The role of the Transportation Planner will be to work independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team on transportation projects of various sizes and complexity. Often, the Planner will be managing projects, leading tasks and supervising others in the Urban Places Mobility Group or from other practices. The candidate should have a working understanding of multimodal transportation processes, analysis and methodology. The successful candidate should have a range of skills as work will regularly include the following tasks in support of the range of projects described above:
- Facilitating client and public meetings
- Preparation of marketing materials, including leading proposal development efforts
- Report writing and compilation
- Development of presentations and project materials
- Deliverable production, including staff management
- Administrative and organizational work
- Strategic planning
- Directing and mentoring junior staff
- Coordinating with other disciplines
- Completing project management responsibilities, such as budgets, invoices, and administrative tasks
- Managing up" to ensure proper project participation and review by senior staff
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- A graduate degree in Transportation, Urban Design, Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or a related field and/or three to ten years of relevant experience.
- Excellent skills in writing, data analysis, and problem solving
- Strong communications skills--verbal, written, and especially graphic
- Experience with the production of planning reports and documents and a thorough knowledge and familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated responsibility, maturity and commitment to a team driven environment.
- The ability to be located in Boston, or be there on a regular basis
- Willingness to travel as needed
- Project Management experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Additional experience with graphics (Illustrator, InDesign, SketchUp), modeling (Synchro, TransCAD), or database analysis will be considered favorably
Typical office environment working with computers. Some travel may be required, such as delivering plans or documents to reviewing agencies or clients or to attend meetings. May occasionally visit study areas, construction sites and/or be exposed to outside elements and inclement weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Transportation Planner
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Other Locations: United States-Georgia-Atlanta
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900027G
Back to top