Transportation Engineer (Roadway/Highway) Engineer In Training (EIT)
- Dallas, TX
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
The Transportation Roadway Engineer or Engineer in Training is responsible for working closely with Stantec's project managers on the planning and development of transportation infrastructure including major arterials, complex limited access highways, and tolled facilities. Duties will include all aspects of highway/roadway design from preliminary schematic through PS&E, including: typical sections, alignments, profiles, cross-sections, traffic control plans, signing and striping, SWPPP, and basic hydraulics and drainage.
You will work on smaller projects, and/or as a team member of a larger project under the guidance and supervision of a senior engineer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations, and field work. The smaller projects that you may be assigned to will have relatively few complex features. You will assist one or more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of civil engineering assignments and may assist in the analysis of proposed projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare geometric analysis and calculations using established design criteria, methods, practices, and procedures
- Prepare project plans and drawings for various projects including urban and rural roadways, highways, rail, transit, trails, and intersections
- Monitor own work to ensure the delivery of a quality product and that budgets and schedules are met
- Support project team in development of design documentation, plans and reports for relevant project design elements
- Assist in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats
- Utilize technologies in development of three dimensional models of civil systems
- Perform calculations to analyze and design civil system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience developing typical sections, alignments, profiles, cross-sections, traffic control, and/or signing and striping plans.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a design team on multiple assignments
- Proficiency in Microstation and Geopak (OpenRoads 3D modelling tools a plus)
- Ability to use conventional design software, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- TxDOT Precertification preferred
- Basic understanding of all phases of engineering document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings and other similar material
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite
- Takes initiative on tasks and in coordinating with other members of the design team
- Developing ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies
- Working understanding of policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (as required)
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE) or equivalent
- EIT Texas Certification, PE license is a plus
- Minimum of 2 years of highway / roadway design experience
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Dallas
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 200000YQ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Back to top