Transportation Construction Inspector/Observer
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Your Opportunity Stantec is seeking a talented, team-focused Transportation Construction Inspector/Observer to join our Public Infrastructure team in Austin, Texas (1905 Aldrich). Your technical knowledge and team-focused approach will enhance our mission to set the standard in our field for exceptional client service and professional excellence, as we grow to better serve clients, communities and provide greater opportunities for employees.
The Transportation Construction Inspector/Observer supports the project team in fulfilling the client's goals by performing inspection/observation activities associated with transportation construction process to include all essential reporting and validations.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Inspects and reviews projects during construction to monitor conformance with plans, specifications, and other codes and regulations.
- Ensures cost, schedule and quality standards are met.
- General understanding of concepts and design elements including but not limited to the construction of transportation systems or parts of systems, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, utilities, retaining walls and traffic control phasing.
- Based on the plan specifications for a project, assists in coordinating the planning and implementation of the project to execute those designs.
- Monitors the progress of construction activities.
Capabilities and Credentials
- Communicates with Project Manager to provide regular updates on project progress or delays to client, design professionals, and/or contractor.
- Represents the Company and acts as resource and liaison between the Company and clients, architects, engineers, contractors, and government and regulatory agencies.
- Reviews and evaluates plans and specifications to ensure designs are practical for construction.
- Reviews change orders and field orders for reasonableness of pricing and constructability.
- Prepares final documentation for closeout process.
- Assists in obtaining necessary permits and licenses for timely opening of site. Reviews plans, specifications, requests for information, submittals, construction schedules, shop drawings, change orders and pay applications (QA/QC).
Education and Experience 5+ years industry experience.
TxDOT or similar Department of Transportation experience preferred.
Requires advanced knowledge of local, state and federal building codes, construction principles, techniques and procedures, occupational hazards and safety precautions.
Ability to spend significant time outdoors supporting construction oversight team Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Ability to effectively discuss project issues with contractor, project team and clients, including ability to resolve conflict situations.
Strong organizational skills and understanding of task assignment and schedule.
Basic understanding of budgeting and efficient use of time and resources.
Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
Working knowledge of critical path method scheduling.
Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Melina plans out every last detail of healthcare construction projects, communicating with expert consultants in areas ranging from construction techniques and materials to finishing-touch interior choices.
Back to top