Transmission Line Engineer
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or designing challenging crossing spans over glaciers, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Our Burnaby, BC office has an opportunity for an intermediate Transmission Line Engineer with focus on structural expertise.
Your Key Responsibilities
Job requirement will include engineering and design services of power transmission line projects from conceptual design through construction.
- Prepare engineering and design deliverables for transmission lines including conceptual design, basis and criteria, line layouts, structural configuration, loading analysis, structure design, conductor and overhead ground wire analysis and material selection.
- Use PLS-CADD regularly for transmission line modeling, profiling, tower spotting and preparation of required design calculations, reports and drawings including plan & profile drawings, structure data sheets, bill of materials and stringing charts.
- Model, analysis, design and optimize new or existing transmission structures using PLS-TOWER, PLS-POLE and other FE modeling programs.
- Perform route alignment and line layout selection and studies.
- Prepare technical reports, project scope, specifications and line construction documents including Issue for Tender (IFT) and Issue for Construction (IFC) packages.
- Providing material quantity and estimates for transmission lines.
- Providing engineering and technical support and reviews to field crews during construction including site supervision.
- Participating in discussions with clients and contractors and coordinating with various disciplines until successful implementation of project.
- Mentor and train EITs and junior designers.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient with PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE, PLS-TOWER.
- Familiar with international and North American transmission line industry standards and guidelines such as IEC, IEEE, ASCE, Cigre, CSA and NESC.
- Experience developing design drawings for variety of transmission structure types.
- Knowledge of transmission line materials (structures, conductor, OPGW, insulators, hardware accessories and fittings).
- Sound understanding of project management systems.
- Experience designing foundations for a variety of transmission structure types and geotechnical requirements.
- Experience with thermal upgrading studies.
- Experience using GIS mapping software packages.
- Experience designing HV underground cables.
- Ability to perform line electrical studies (such as EMF), conductor selection and line loss analysis.
- Experience with line condition assessments.
- Knowledge of BC-Hydro Engineering standards and design practices.
Education and Experience
Structural, Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university.
Minimum 5 years of transmission line design and engineering experience within utilities, EPC or consulting organizations.
Professional Engineer registered with EGBC, or the ability to obtain registration.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900031D
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon H.Operations Director
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top