Transit & Rail Sector - Bus Rapid Transit Engineer
- Los Angeles, CA
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Stantec is currently seeking an experienced Bus Rapid Transit Engineer to join our Transportation practice in Los Angeles, California (alternate locations may be considered). Reporting to the Regional Business Leader and functionally as a member of the Transit & Rail Sector, reporting to the Bus Transit Leader.
Your Key Responsibilities
- This position will be responsible for managing multi-disciplinary teams responsible for proposals & delivering complex projects on time, within budget in a safe manner.
- The Bus Rapid Transit Senior Engineer will plan, organize, monitor, and oversee one or more projects, with fees ranging from $50,000 to over $10,000,000. The key markets are:
- Advisory, Economic feasibility, Transit Planning, Reference Concept Development, O&M, Asset Management, BRT design, procurement and construction.
- Projects may vary within the full range of challenges within the industry generally within the following core activities:
- Advisory / Concept Planning & Development (O&M and Rehabilitation / Expansion)
- Environmental Services
- Design (Route alignment, Architecture, Civil, Structural, M&E, Systems, Utilities, Geotechnical, Maintenance Facilities)
- Procurement / Project Management
- Construction Management
- Asset Management
- The Bus Rapid Transit Engineer will be the Team Leader, providing overall guidance and mentorship to staff, and the development of opportunities.
- Leads productive interdepartmental teams to coordinate all aspects of BRT corridors.
- Works closely with external partners including other consultants and construction partners.
- Supports the client with interest groups, and jurisdictions on highly specialized policy, transportation, and planning issues, and responds to complex inquiries and requests for interpretations or determinations.
- Provides updates to senior leadership on the BRT program.
- Manage the delivery of BRT projects.
- Lead and develop a multi-disciplinary team of Engineers, Planners, Designers, Inspectors, and other staff as required to meet the local market and support growth in the West Americas market.
- Lead the teams through the successful completion of medium to large complex projects while managing multiple projects at a time.
- Prepare project work plans and schedules and obtain management/client approval.
- Maintain regular communication with clients regarding project status and project quality, and proactively resolve issues.
- Manage relationships with project stakeholders, including internal and external clients and vendors, regulatory authorities and technical agencies, and the public. This involves keeping the stakeholders informed of progress and issues in order to manage expectations on all project requirements and deliverables and meet the project schedule.
- Proactively track, analyze and report on actual performance against the plan, and prepare cost and schedule reporting, both for clients and as part of internal reporting processes.
- Address change management matters promptly and professionally with clients and internal departments.
- Analyze project management and project delivery risks, establish contingency plans and identify trigger events and responsibility for initiating mitigating action.
- Lead and manage business development initiatives including Requests for Qualifications and Requests for Proposals; with input from others, compile a comprehensive and realistic scope of work, and prepare a complete and accurate fee estimate, in a format suitable for obtaining the required management approvals.
- As a Team Leader, provide mentoring, assistance, encouragement and motivation to team members, including assisting the Transportation Leaders to establish development and performance goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the vision, mission, and values of Stantec, and provides excellent customer service.
- Leads Stantec BRT activities in the region.
- Authoritatively interprets policy, guidelines, and standards, as well as transit planning standards and principles, as applied to BRT problems involving roadway design, service and operations planning, land use, parking, pedestrian and bicycle access and traffic engineering.
- Manages all aspects of BRT corridors (clients, consultants, procurement, outreach, design, etc.)
- Ongoing maintenance and expansion.
- Planning and environmental analysis (NEPA/AA), community engagement efforts and overall project management.
- Coordination with engineering and design and right-of-way, operations planning, community engagement.
- Manages BRT project cost & resources, (requirements, reporting, etc.) and recruitment of new staff.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Familiarity with all commonly used project delivery models (DBB, DB, P3, CMGC, etc.)
- Strong business development and client management skills, including sound understanding of contract law, scheduling techniques, and budget development.
- Experience in project management, planning, risk management, cost management and schedule management, and methods of analyzing and reporting project performance on financial and other KPIs.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including experience making presentations to senior management, elected officials and the public.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills: the ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience; competence in clear, concise and tactful communication with senior management, clients, peers and staff.
- Strategic, conceptual analytical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change.
- Negotiating skills within a context of political sensitivity and conflicting interests.
- Proficiency with project management software tools.
- Must have a valid driver's license and good driving record.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Professional Engineer or equivalent, with 15 years in Project Management and experience on large, complex engineering and construction projects.
- Experience within an engineering consulting environment is preferred.
- 15 years' Transit engineering experience leading multi-disciplinary teams of project professionals; concurrently managing issues, scope and quality while bringing projects to successful completion within the cost and time requirements.
- Most recently 10 years' experience within transit infrastructure, stations & systems, including bus, light rail and maintenance facilities.
Typical office environment working with computers at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Civil Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-Los Angeles
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Req ID: 200000YB
Back to top