- Honolulu, HI
We create the connections that get people and goods moving-whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Stantec is actively seeking a qualified candidate for a full-time Track Inspector to join our growing Transportation practice. The successful candidate will work on challenging and diverse tasks in a consulting and construction management role that will require the application of technical skills, project delivery, and leadership for construction projects. These projects consist of transit, highway, and other related infrastructure.
The Track Inspector performs inspection work on rail transit systems, including preventive and corrective maintenance and construction of track work, busways, loading platforms, and aerial structures. Oversees track contractor's construction to assure that all facilities meet contract specifications and guidelines.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Inspects track and switches in yards and on the mainline, including ties, ballast, direct fixation pads, appurtenant structures, and protective enclosures on rail transit right-of-way.
- Performs various field tests during track and structure inspections to identify faulty track or maintenance problems; notifies the proper authority for corrective action.
- Oversees and monitors track construction or maintenance work performed by outside contractors using plans, prints, specifications, and track charts.
- Inspects rail track construction sites and work locations for compliance with Federal Railroad Administration track safety standards. Contacts appropriate representatives in event of work modifications or rule violations.
- Assists in identifying requirements for the development of track maintenance program and management of maintenance-of-way shop procedures.
- Performs necessary day-to-day track inspections.
- Recommends preventive and corrective track maintenance schedules.
- Prepares written reports and maintains daily, weekly, monthly, and annual rail track inspection records.
- Contributes to ensuring that the contractor is performing all the necessary Quality Control checks for all aspects of rail and special trackwork construction.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Methods, materials, equipment, and safety procedures of track construction, inspection, and repair, including procedures for entering and working on the mainline.
- Federal Railroad Administration track safety standards.
- Understand AREMA Standards.
- Vehicle operation and safety.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Must have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Perform track construction, inspection, and repair.
- Interpret plans, prints, specifications, and track charts.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Safely operate Stantec vehicles.
- Safely operate a variety of tools and equipment.
- Maintain simple written records.
- Lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Tolerate exposure to noise, unpleasant odors, and outdoor work at night and in all types of weather.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Good driving record and valid Class C driver's license required.
- Must be able to perform outdoor work at night and in all types of weather.
- Must be able to perform work in tunnels and on aerial structures for various durations in time.
- Must be able to respond to emergencies promptly.
- Must be able to work in an environment with energized contact rail power (3rd rail) distribution system.
- Must be able to work any shift and weekends.
- Must comply with all Safety regulations and utilize approved safety equipment and personal protective gear including, but not limited to, respirators, eye and hearing protective devices, gloves, hard hats, work boots.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or related field preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years' experience performing the inspection or construction of Main Line track and special trackwork and related facilities.
- Have worked on all types of track construction included but not limited to: Ballasted track, embedded track work, Direct Fixation Track work.
- Must be familiar with working around Continuous Welded Rail (CWR).
- Must have a basic understanding of Flash Butt welding and Thermite welding of rail.
Typical office environment working with computers at a desk for long periods of time. Fieldwork may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Construction Inspection
Primary Location: United States-Hawaii-Honolulu
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001CD
Back to top