Technical Safety Engineer (Facilities Safety Engineer)
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there's no end to the scope and significance of your work - and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we're problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you'll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that's critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing - and we're helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that's working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
We are currently looking for a Technical Safety Engineer to work with our Oil & Gas group in Houston Texas. You will work with close guidance and supervision to execute tasks and support Lead Engineers and Project Managers working on related tasks and projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Completes 'Safety Cases' that demonstrate the integrity programs are effective and sufficient to achieve safety of our pipeline, facility, and storage assets
- Knowledge in utilizing integrity, reliability, diagnostics, and risk sciences in the formation of an engineering assessment; separate and independent from any system design.
- Implement the process of proving that the safety requirements for the system are appropriate and adequate for the planned application and that the system satisfies those safety requirements
- Perform safety case processes, engineering assessments and operational change assessments for pipeline, facility, and storage assets.
- Drive technical discussions with stakeholder to support the development, implementation, and execution of high-level programs, processes and policies which directly contribute to the continual improvement of Safety Case regime.
- Develop safety case assessment and recommendations
- Support the development of the processes and records associated with Safety Case assessments and related recommendations and reports
- Engage stakeholders in technical discussions safety case assessments.
- This role forms system engineering assessment, separate and independent from any system design and/or development or operational personnel to ensure that the safety requirements for the system are appropriate and adequate for the planned application and that the system satisfies those safety requirements. The system assessment/safety case will be used within safety critical decisions that directly impact the safety of GTM pipeline, facility, and storage assets.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Safety and engineering knowledge of pipelines systems and\or facilities/storage systems
- Knowledge of the science, tools, and strategies used in pipeline and\or facility integrity management
- Knowledge of the techniques and methods used to determine and analyze safety issues of importance and to make a judgement on the safety of a system (e.g. HAZOPS, risk assessments, safety case)
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles and concepts of safety and safety management applicable to pipelines and\or facilities (e.g. criteria for accepting risk)
- Demonstrated ability to make judgement, without being inappropriately influenced
- Strong attention to details
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills with well-developed written and verbal group presentation capabilities
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Infographic tools, and Microsoft Word
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Must have a good driving record and valid Driver's License.
- Prior to employment with Stantec, this position will require the successful passing of a drug & alcohol screen.
- Applicable post graduate degree
- Experience working within a Safety Case regime
- Experience of chairing and contributing to HAZOP and HAZID studies
- Knowledge of fault/reliability assessment processes and methodologies, specifically FMEA process and FTA, and the principles of SIL assessment
- Strong understanding in the field of reliability, integrity, statistics, and mathematical modeling
- Leadership skills including strategy, mentoring, communication, project management, consultant management
- Proven ability to initiate and manage change, be innovative, problem solve, and think strategically
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in engineering from a recognized university or college.
Minimum of 7 years of progressive and diverse pipeline, facility, and/or storage industry experience
Eligible for registration as a professional engineer.
Typical office environment working with computers at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Mechanical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900037P
Back to top