Team Lead - High Voltage Electrical (Position for Nepal)
Join a team that does more than just generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that works to solve the development challenges of the planet's most vulnerable communities. Operating with the strength of a $4B company and global recognition as a top 10 design firm, Stantec's International Development team has decades of experience providing technical and advisory services to international donors and financial institutions helping to improve the design, implementation, and oversight of economic development and infrastructure programs throughout the world. We are committed to delivering pragmatic and cost-effective solutions in the energy, environmental, and water sectors. Whether advising on complex infrastructure engineering or helping clients manage large sector reform programs, we understand the inter-relationships between key sectors of the economy and the importance of integrated, multi-benefit approaches where feasible. We approach our work with a keen focus not only on physical outputs, but also on the longer-term social, economic, and environmental outcomes that are inherent to improving quality of life in the communities we serve.
Stantec is seeking a highly qualified professional engineer to serve as the Team Lead for a high-profile, United States Government-funded electricity transmission and distribution project in Nepal. This is anticipated to be a 5-year assignment fully embedded in Stantec's project office in Kathmandu. The ideal candidate must have at least 20 years of international experience in all aspects of electricity transmission system design, construction and management.
Your Key Responsibilities
- The Team Lead will be responsible for coordinating Stantec's construction management oversight role for the construction of approximately 300 kilometers of 400kv transmission line and several substations in Nepal, ensuring satisfactory fulfilment of the requirements per the project's Terms of Reference.
- Stantec is responsible for providing technical supervision of contractors implementing final design and construction, ensuring that work is completed according to technically sound methodologies and technical specifications using materials and equipment of adequate standards and within the cost and time constraints approved by the client. Stantec's responsibility includes appropriate quality assurance and control for all construction activities. Stantec will be providing construction supervision services, (as the Engineer, per FIDIC Yellow Book), consistent with industry standards and international best practices.
- He/she will perform all the functions of the lead engineer but more importantly will serve in a leadership capacity, managing and motivating a diverse group of professionals working to accomplish this critical, time-sensitive infrastructure project. The Team Lead will be supported by a deputy team leader. The successful candidate will be comfortable interacting both internally within Stantec's broader organization and externally with the client, subcontractors, and members of government agencies and other business and professional organizations affiliated specifically with this project in Nepal. Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Establish and maintain objectives, procedures and performance standards for the construction phase of the project.
- Efficiently lead a multi-disciplinary team to achieve project/client objectives in alignment with Stantec's policies and practices including risk management, project management, and quality management. The project will consist of multiple construction sites/construction packages each with a team consisting of a construction manager, resident engineer, quality manager, etc.
- Work with Stantec's internal project management teams both in the U.S. and at the local project office in Kathmandu to track and manage progress, costs, schedule, and implement measures necessary to stay on schedule and within budget. Local project and site office team is expected to reach up to 6 full time expat and 30 full time local staff.
- Enhance and maintain Stantec's reputation with the client as an outstanding service provider.
Capabilities and Credentials
- Demonstrated successful experience in client service management.
- Demonstrated successful experience in leadership, including defining and setting the direction for a team, project, and office; strategy development, change management; and corporate stewardship.
- Demonstrated successful experience in decision-making, including making sound defensible business decisions, and identifying, assessing, evaluating, and solving complex problems.
- Demonstrated proficiency in risk management.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to travel to project sites within Nepal and potentially outside Nepal to Stantec offices in the US, Canada or the UK.
Experience and Education
- Minimum of 20 years of international experience in all aspects of electric transmission systems design (220 kV or above), construction and management, including with similar projects and geographic conditions and to similar donor agency standards for environmental and social performance (e.g. IFC Environmental and Social Performance Standards or World Bank Safeguard Policies).
- Experience within the last ten years managing construction supervision work on at least three power projects of similar size and complexity, ideally in South Asia.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering; Advance degree preferred.
- Proficiency working across a broad array of administrative and engineering collaboration software and platforms including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Business Skype, SharePoint, ProjectWise, etc.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-District Of Columbia-Washington
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 100 % of the Time
Req ID: 1900029G
Back to top