Substation Specialist 2
- Lake Mary, FL
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company but have the agility of a specialized power group. We work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Our Lake Mary, FL office is looking to fill the role of Substation Specialist. Reporting to the Substation Manager, this position offers you the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the detailed electrical design and project management of high voltage substation projects.
The successful candidate should have experience in the areas of air-insulated substation (GIS a plus) engineering & design from the 13kV to 500kV levels, as well as an understanding of substation components, development of single line diagrams, substation layout and related electrical studies (clearance, grounding, isolation etc.), rigid bus design, work planning, coordination, reporting, cost estimating.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing all aspects of HV substation physical engineering design
- Repair reports that present technical and project information in a clear and concise manner and meet client requirements
- Preparation of Electrical Physical design packages consisting of One-line, Site Plan, Electrical Plan & Sections, Grounding Plan & Details, Conduit Plan & Details, Control House Plan, Control House Grounding Plan & Details, Lighting Plan, Lightning Protection Plan and Bill of material (BOM)
- Coordinate with designers and engineers of other disciplines to complete deliverables
- Interpret and incorporate vendor information into design deliverables
- Perform QA/QC of electrical engineering design packages
- Provide regular progress updates related to deliverables on project
- Responsible for proposal development and LOE (Level of Effort) analyses
Your Credentials and Capabilities
- Strong safety mindset
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and develop strong client relationships
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Able to demonstrate solid technical understanding in writing and verbally
- Ability to visualize and evaluate equipment details, phase-to-ground, phase-to-phase clearances, and drawing relationships
- Solid understanding of substation grounding, lightning protection, and illumination studies (strongly preferred)
- Ability to identify specifications for high voltage electrical equipment
- Ability to manage and deliver Physical Engineering deliverables as per project schedule and within budget
- Ability to work closely with Drafters, Engineers and Leads to meet with project timelines for engineering deliverables
- Ability to understand client specific requirements (standards & specifications) and applicable codes & regulations for preparing physical electrical packages
- Travel may be required but is not anticipated to be more often than 5 days per month
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience in utility AIS HV substation design. EIT certificate strongly preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft (MS) Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro and/or Bluebeam
- Experience with site visits to capture all technical data needed for estimates and execution of related substation expansions
- Experience in MicroStation and/or AutoCAD
- Experience in Grounding Analysis software such as WinIGSand CDEGS is strongly preferred
Typical office environment most of the time. Field work may be required which includes exposure to the elements and possibly inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's' talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Lake Mary
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 20000110
Back to top