Substation Physical Electrical Designer
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
The Substation Physical Electrical Designer is responsible for developing Physical design package of HV substation. The successful candidate must have experience in the areas of substation design from the 25kV to 500kV levels, as well as an understanding of substation components, development of substation layout and related electrical drawings using oneline and substation studies.
Your Key Responsibilities
Preparation of the following substation drawings from a One Line or Three Line:
- Substation General Arrangement
- Substation Electrical Equipment Plans
- Substation Section Views (Elevations)
- Substation Detailed Bill of Material
- Substation Lightning Shielding Plan
- Substation Grounding Plan
- Substation Conduit, Electrical Connection and Grounding Details
- Substation Below Grade Conduit Plan
- Control Building Equipment, Cable Tray, Lighting, Grounding Plans and Section
- Interpreting and incorporating vendor information into design deliverables
- Performing walkdowns on site.
- Applying Client's standards related to the work
- Advanced knowledge of computer drafting tools (i.e. AutoCAD or MicroStation)
- Ability to visualize Equipment Details, Phase to Ground and Phase to Phase Clearances
- Ability to multi-task from project to project
- Ability to understand substation grounding, lightning, lighting, and busbar studies
- Ability to coordinate with designers and engineers of other disciplines to complete deliverables.
- Reviewing, commenting and approving electrical design & drawings for substation construction packages for codes and standards compliance
- Experience with site visits, in order to capture all technical data needed for estimates and execution of related substation expansions
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and develop strong internal and external relationships
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Working closely with engineers to meet with project time lines for engineering deliverables
- Performing QA/QC of electrical engineering design packages
- Experience in MicroStation as well as AUTOCAD
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Technology or Diploma/Certificate in related field with a minimum of 7 years utility HV substation design experience
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Meet Some of Stantec's Employees
Jon is responsible for growing Stantec in the northwest region of the United Kingdom and leading and guiding the team in this area.
Back to top