Substation Engineering Manager
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you'll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you'll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world's top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Lead the Substation Engineering Group in the Northeast region to ensure the delivery of high quality, cost competitive engineering services and recruit and maintain a competent and knowledgeable workforce. Candidate must be a hands-on problem solver willing to work through issues as they arise with staff, offices, disciplines and projects. They must also develop and implement strategies to unify offices, leadership, disciplines and staff to promote a seamless, communicative working environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage discipline managers and office leads to effectively assign resources to complete projects with efficiency and accuracy.
- Work with discipline managers/leads to develop strategies for hiring, training, and retaining resources to work in multiple offices.
- Develop and foster a team environment that promotes improved communication and facilitates discipline focused internal network groups.
- Support Leadership to develop a resource sharing report, tools, and technology.
- Conduct minimum bi-weekly progress meetings with office staff.
Quality and Innovation
- Drive quality initiatives and perform technical project audits to verify compliance with quality review and independent review requirements.
- Develop and implement strategies for continuous improvement including the use of technology to increase efficiency and accuracy.
- Implement safety initiatives among the disciplines, offices and staff.
- Promote and train staff to incorporate Leading Indicators into their everyday work practices and monitor performance.
- Oversee direct reports including discipline managers.
- Oversee and advise direct reports to conduct performance reviews and training requirements.
- Direct the activities of the operating department managers.
- Provide input to the business center capital and operating budgets.
- Communicate matters affecting business center operation or policy to department managers.
- Serve as Project Manager or Project Engineer.
- Oversee or prepare engineering departments in the development of manhour estimates and proposals.
- Interact extensively with clients, including developing new and maintaining existing relationships.
- Proactively use, promote and manage the Stantec Pipeline for business development pursuits.
Key Performance Indicators
- Engineering errors and omissions claim costs
- Meet personal utilization target of 60%.
- Conduct a minimum of twelve (12) independent reviews of final deliverables yearly within the group.
- Prepare succession planning and career development strategies for direct reports.
- Develop, maintain and implement personal success plan on a yearly basis.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Advanced knowledge in substation physical design at transmission voltage levels and intermediate knowledge in P&C design.
- Experience managing staff and projects as a client account director, project manager and/or project engineer.
- Professional engineering licensure.
- Ability to travel up to 15% and work outside normal hours of operation on a salary, bonus eligible basis.
- Excellent written and communication skills; Can communicate technical matters in layman's terms.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in engineering.
Minimum of 10 years of consulting experience or six (6) years of direct power delivery engineering with increasing levels of responsibility for technical staff and the associated projects.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Electrical Engineer
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Wyomissing
Other Locations: United States-Florida-Lake Mary, United States-Florida-Jacksonville
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190002W2
Back to top