Structural Marine/Coastal Engineer
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn't have to be true? What if our built environment - where we live, learn, play, and conduct business - carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future-join us!
The concept of Sea Level Rise has advanced far beyond an academic concept. Working in coastal environments worldwide, Stantec delivers innovative solutions for coastal protection and restoration, waterfront and port facilities, waterways and inlets, and offshore infrastructure. Stantec engineers, scientists, and planners are actively working in the communities and environments impacted by Sea Level Rise and our ability to develop actionable and proactive strategies to prepare for, and sustain critical resources and infrastructure is personal for us.
Stantec is at the forefront of holistic solutions for port, harbor, marine terminals and coastal engineering challenges. An opportunity exists in Stantec's Ottawa, ON office for a highly motivated Intermediate/Senior Structural Marine Engineer to join our multidisciplinary team. In this role you will be responsible for the design and execution of marine/coastal projects ranging in size and complexity. The successful candidate will play a key role in working with our coastal community partners.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare engineering designs from conceptual design, through tender to construction.
- Conduct studies and analysis related to the engineering, planning, design and construction of coastal and waterfront structures including:
- Marine structure design including the design and rehabilitation of beaches and coastal structures, such as wharves, jetties, piers, breakwaters, groins, shoreline armoring, and access channels;
- Port and terminal planning and design, maritime and offshore structures, hydrotechnical, coastal processes, coastal site selection and inspections;
- Coastal resilience measures such as revetments, shoreline protection, stabilization, beach and dune nourishment, evaluation of sea level rise and storm impacts, ecosystem enhancement, and optimizing harbors, marsh creation, waterways, and marine terminals breakwaters, groynes and sea defenses for small craft harbors, and sea marinas ;
- Integrated coastal and civil infrastructures to support waterfront development and natural systems;
- Green shores, living breakwaters, artificial reefs, dune restoration and beach nourishment programs in sensitive ecosystems such as coastal wetlands and flood plains;
- Dredging, reclamation and navigation plans as part of port development projects.
- Work with team members in determining viable solutions for design issues.
- Prepare proposals, manage project budgets and scopes of work, schedules, and communications for both large and small multi-disciplinary projects.
- Coordinate design work with other disciplines, other offices, and other project team members.
- Support Construction Administration personnel including field reviews and co-ordination, review and issuance of change orders, clarifications and RFI responses as required.
- Coach Junior Staff members informally or through formal presentations.
- Participate in business development activities.
- Assist the management team in developing tools and techniques for the execution of daily duties.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Awareness of project budgets, contracting strategies, scheduling tender document preparation and tender support and evaluation.
- Solid experience in the inspections, investigations, monitoring and analyses of marine works such as small craft Harbor facilities, ferry terminal and public wharves, shore protections and breakwaters, dredging, timber cribwork, steel sheet piling, reinforced concrete support structures (pile caps, beams, fascia and retaining walls, wharf decks), timber / steel piles, including all components such as approaches, embankments, abutments, wing walls, slopes, retaining walls, slabs, decks, superstructures, substructures, barriers, railings, curbs, mooring system, and berthing system.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products and experience with structural finite element engineering design software such as ETABS, SAP, and STAAD. Knowledge of Steel Sheet Piles design software is considered an asset.
- Effective communication skills and ability to work independently, and as part of a multidiscipline group.
- Strong leadership, time management, project management, communication and team building skills are required.
- Working knowledge of Project Management fundamentals would be considered an asset.
- Ability to communicate in English and French is considered an asset.
Education and Experience
Minimum 5 years of post-graduation experience in the structural analysis and design of marine/ coastal structures with a consulting firm or marine related client.
Registration as a Professional Engineer within the Province of Ontario and possess extensive knowledge of all relevant codes and standards.
Registration as a Professional Engineer within the Province of Quebec is considered an asset.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Structural Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Req ID: 190000YH
Back to top